Saturday, November 24, 2012

November 24th Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 18:33-37

 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, ‘Are you the King of the Jews?’ Jesus answered, ‘Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?’ Pilate replied, ‘I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?’ Jesus answered, ‘My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.’ Pilate asked him, ‘So you are a king?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.’

Reflection
If Jesus is truth, why? If Jesus is truth, how? But, that's getting ahead of myself. In this passage the Jews have brought a charge before Jesus. A charge that Jesus claims he is king. But king of what is the question submitted to Jesus by Pilate. The Jews charged Jesus with claiming that he was the Messiah. Is Jesus the King of the Jews?

Jesus' kingdom is not over bodies of people but over the spirits of all mankind. Jesus kingdom is not a political kingdom but a spiritual kingdom. Jesus does not need to rule the earth. Jesus rules the hearts, minds and souls of his followers in love. Jesus speaks of a different kind of kingdom here that is hard, if not impossible, for us to fully grasp the meaning.

Jesus speaks of a kingdom filled with truth. But what is God's truth and why would God bring truth to this world?

Jesus was sent into this world to bear witness to the truth of God. God loves us so deeply that God gives all of himself to us in the life, ministry, healing, witness, teaching, suffering, death, resurrection, ascension, and promised return of Jesus. Jesus comes to us so deeply that we have faith and know of his presence in our lives and the lives of his people. Jesus comes to us individually and corporately. Jesus comes into our hearts and the heart of the Church. God comes to us in the love of Jesus. This is God's truth. God has done this because he loves us! This is the why and the how of the truth of God.

This Truth of God, this Jesus, this Love, is impossible for anyone to fully understand, but it is something that is easy to believe in and declare as an absolute realism of life. God has come to us and is King of our lives. Reflect back on life and you can witness the coming of Jesus into your life as a disciple of Jesus. Or just look around and see God active on this earth in the love and giving unexpected and undeserved. God is present all around you. Acknowledge the presence of Jesus and your eyes will open. What you once took as belief and faith will turn into the surety of the Truth. God comes to you in the love of Jesus. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
God, I don't understand a love that deep, but I can see it. I can witness to your love. I can praise you as my King... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: