Friday, November 23, 2012

November 23rd Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 18:33-37

 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, ‘Are you the King of the Jews?’ Jesus answered, ‘Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?’ Pilate replied, ‘I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?’ Jesus answered, ‘My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.’ Pilate asked him, ‘So you are a king?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.’

Reflection
I'm the voice of Jesus. No, I'm not the truth that Jesus uses me to convey to the world, I'm the voice. I'm part of Jesus' neck. I am the vocal chords that make sound come from Jesus. I use breath and air to make sounds of varying frequencies that combine to communicate words, ideas and thoughts.

I'm the voice of Jesus. Air moving in and through me. I've always suspected that earthly air moves in and the breath of the Holy Spirit moves out in truth and love. I'm the voice of Jesus. Together with the Spirit of Jesus, I communicate an everlasting important message to all the world.

Pilate was speaking one day of a kingship. But Jesus was using me to tell of a kingship that didn't need worldly power to make that kingship important. Jesus used me to tell of a kingship that had no need or even depended on worldly power. Jesus spoke of a Spiritual power which was of Truth and love. Pilate couldn't understand this type of kingship.

I'm the voice of Jesus. Those who know Jesus hear his voice and listen. It's because of what I said before. Jesus came to this earth and breathed in the earthly air of this world, but the air that came through me and spoke of truth and love changed to air exhaled of the Holy Spirit.

I'm the voice of Jesus. I'm sure if you are his disciple the same will happen to you. Let that earthly air come in and when you speak of the Truth of Jesus, the air exhaled will be of the Holy Spirit speaking in and through you too.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, you alone are the one true King. You alone came into this world to save all of us lost people from sin, death, ourselves and the devil. You have given life eternal. Lead all people to come to you and witness to the Truth in love... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: