Monday, November 15, 2004

November 15th

Monday 11/15/2004
James 3 - My big mouth can get me in trouble -watch and think before talking - don’t hurt others with what I say - praise God with my mouth instead of hurting others with it - don’t be jealous or selfish - you will cause trouble- the wisdom that comes from above leads us to be pure, friendly, gentle, sensible, kind, helpful, genuine, and sincere.
Jeremiah 25-26 - God warned the people -they did not listen to God -- listen to God! -- “You have nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.�-kinda funny -- Reminds me of the whole goal of a defensive tackle - I’m kinda getting sick of all this doom and gloom stuff- after so much of this - it’s no wonder they got mad at Jeremiah - well - I guess they were sick of it too - when Jeremiah told them that the temple would be destroyed - they arrested Jeremiah-they wanted to put him to death -- reminds me of Jesus who told the people of the day that no stone will be left standing at the temple-they wanted to put him to death too! -- and did! - Then the leaders have this debate on if they should kill Jeremiah -- the whole debate is so selfish - they are worried more about there own skin - not even concerned about God or the message from Jeremiah - other than that they may die if they do the wrong thing -- so they decide not to kill Jeremiah -- but then they go out and kill Uriah - a prophet that was telling the same thing that Jeremiah was saying -- What a way to relieve stress!!
Psalm 131 - Trust God - don’t be conceited
God freely gives His grace and life. I must change my heart and turn to God and grow in His Light.
God will graciously protect me
Jonah 1/1-17a - Go at once! -- Don’t flee! -- Jonah went into the hold of the ship during a storm and was fast asleep during the storm -- reminds me of Jesus sleeping in the boat - Well I guess Jonah knew why the storm -- and Jesus knew the storm was nothing to be afraid of -- We all will live through a few storms in life - expect them -- but Jesus and Jonah had different reasons to expect them - Jesus was running to Jerusalem and persecution and the call of God -- Jonah was running away from the call of God -- but both seemed to understand the storm - the solution for Jonah was to throw him into the sea - it reminds me of baptism - the solution was baptism - the washing of the sinfulness from Jonah - where God freely forgives and calls Jonah as his child and gives him life - baptism in the sea - and the sea stopped raging - sin is defeated in the gift of life in baptism -- but the journey is only beginning -- God protects and provides in our new life -- Jonah got a big fish -- what did I get???? -- Jesus-Thanks be to God!
Zechariah 7.9-14 - Show kindness and mercy to one another - listen to God
Psalm 36 - Don’t flatter yourself - look at God’s love - it gives light in our dark world
Prayer - I gotta keep my big mouth shut and listen to you God - then God - jump in the water of this week - depend on your saving grace - your forgiveness of sins - go praise you by telling your story - telling how you are active in my life - trust that the worlds are yours and not mine - look for you and not for me in all I see, hear, taste and smell -- trust that you will send that fish to rescue me when I’m in trouble and praise you with my mouth - seeking that wisdom that can only come from you. Leads me today and into this week. --- I gotta go now! Amen

No comments: