Tuesday, November 30, 2004

November 30th reflections

Tuesday 11/30/2004
Galatians 4.21-31 - So the comparison of Abraham’s two sons - Ishmael - son of a slave woman Hagar - represents the Law - Isaac son of Sarah - represents - Blessing -- if we believe we need to be saved by the Law we are descendants of Ishmael - If we believe in the blessing and the faith represented by Abraham we are descendants of Isaac -- Jesus is the fulfillment of the “faith� and only descendant of Abraham -- so faith again makes us Children of the Chosen - not circumcision as discussed earlier -- gets kinda hairy and confusing - but taken slow - it’s not so bad
Lamentations 3-4 - A big pity party - may as well go eat some greasy grimy worms - nobody likes me - everybody hates me -- but God is kind and merciful - once I realize that deep in my heart God is all I need - I can depend on him - I must trust and obey him and be patient - the pity party can teach me this lesson - think about the way I am living and turn back to God - offer God my heart - repent - from the bottom of my pit I will pray to God - Save me! - God saves when you are needed to be saved - then it moves back to how Jerusalem was during the Babylonian take over - “Life in the city is so bad that loving mothers have boiled and eaten their own children.� -- Mom could have a feast with me -- but it’s strange that the term loving is used there - you would think if they were truly loving they would cut themselves up and feed themselves to the child -- pretty gross thinking either way - but the point of desperation is beyond normal thought anyway
Psalm 146 - With all that I am - shout praises to God as long as I live - God blesses those who trust and depend on him - God rules forever
Remember your stories and give thanks. Remember your stories of God’s love - way back in time - way deep in my heart - stories now present today and love deep inside
I want to go up the mountain of God - learn - see- believe
I can’t by my own reasoning believe in Jesus or go to him -- it’s only through God’s gift of the Spirit that I can have faith - God came to me - gave me life and gave me forgiveness and gifts to send me out. It’s not about me - It’s about what God already did and does now in my life.
John 1.35-42 - John was watching Jesus walk by and recognized Jesus as the Lamb of God - how peculiar - God must have sent his Spirit into John to see this - I don’t think a normal human would react this way -- and then to call him the “Lamb of God� -- the “Lamb of God� wouldn’t be a ruler or anything great to follow - the “Lamb of God� would be a sacrifice --- why follow?? -- had to be the work of God through these simple men- Andrew then recognized Jesus as the Messiah - OK - I can buy following that guy -- but I don’t think they understood that the Messiah and the “Lamb of God� - would be the same thing - Jesus would suffer and die prior to his reign -- it wouldn’t be the earthly version of Savior they were initially looking for -- but way way way more than that - Thanks be to God!
So since today we commemorate St. Andrew - Apostle - he had the eyes to see the Messiah - out of know where- he thought he found the Messiah - but Jesus found him first and invited him to see where he lives -- I think Andrew finally discovered that Jesus lives in his own heart
Psalm 78 - Here is a story - tell the stories of my life - teach the lessons that God gives to others
Prayer - Lord draw me out of self pity - teach me - forgive me - for in the low spots I must turn to you - you are God and in only you can I trust - you will care for me - lead me - guide me - save me - I will sing praises to you - for you are great and creator of all - you build my faith - each day you reveal yourself to me - sometimes I don’t even realize what I’m seeing - I think one thing yet you reveal way way way much more - you are god! -- you are Messiah - and then again you are Sacrifice - I sacrifice myself this day to you - I’m yours - send me where you want - just bless me with your spirit and the gifts to fulfill your work in this world - Let’s play!! -- Amen

No comments: