Saturday, November 20, 2004

November 20th reflection

Saturday 11/20/2004
1 Peter 3 - OK- so this one is easy for me - I won’t depend on fancy hairdos or gold jewelry or expensive clothes to make me look good - oh- wait a minute - I’m not a wife anyway! - Oh - there it is - as a husband I’m to be thoughtful of my wife - treat her with honor- for she shares with me the gift of life.- Finally all of us should love each other and treat each other with kindness - God listens to our prayers - Honor Christ and let him be the Lord of my life - Expect to suffer for doing right - Jesus died for my sins to bring me to God - Christ then preached to the spirits that were being kept in prison (descended into hell)- The flood water of baptism now saves me-it means turning to God because Jesus was raised from death- everything is under Jesus control now.- Just as God cleansed the world of evil in Noah’s time - he cleanses me from sin in my baptism -- and just as the world after the flood still had sin in it - so I still live in a world of sin - so I must relive my baptism each day and return to the world I am in trusting God to care for me - lead me - forgive me and use me for His will and turn to God day after day.
Jeremiah 35-36 - Sometimes we obey our own rules but refuse to obey God -- I want to obey God and his commands and turn to him - God told Jeremiah to write down everything God had told him-Jeremiah had Baruch do this - So Baruch was sent into the temple to read the scroll - Baruch did this and Micaiah heard it and told the government officials- the officials sent for the scroll - Baruch read the scroll to them - so Jehudi read the scroll to the king- as he was reading it the king would burn that part of it that he just finished reading - soon the entire scroll was burnt in the fire - the king sent men out to arrest Baruch and Jeremiah - but they couldn’t find them - then Jeremiah had Baruch make a second scroll on the command of God - then Jeremiah was told by God to tell King Jehoiakim that he was doomed to die and be punished and that none of his descendants will ever be king of Judah.
Psalm 136 - Praise God- His love never fails! - God is a very active God - he takes action - take action through and in me today
God freely gives His grace and life. I must change my heart and turn to God and grow in His Light.
Respect, obey, love and serve your parents and others in authority
Revelation 7.9-17 - “After this I looked up…� - this is in heaven - it reminds me again of processing up to that cross - looking slowly up and seeing the glory of God -- “there was a great multitude that no one could count…� -- I will be there with special friends and many many others - the Lamb will be at the center of the throne and he will guide us to “springs of the water of life� -- the ultimate image will become reality - what a day that will be!!
Hebrews 2.5-18 - “…so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.� - whoa- a different view of grace- here they are talking about Jesus - by the grace of God - Jesus tasted death for all of us- Jesus tasted death as God’s gift - gives more meaning to “grace upon grace� -- well- after a little research - I see I’m not the only one thrown by this phrase - some take it as “apart from God� -- but both resources agreed that “by the grace of God� is closer to the original meaning -- so - what does this mean? - in true Lutheran fashion - I think it means that Jesus was made great by being made humble - This was the final victory over my sin - and it came at the death of Jesus - Jesus grace - his free gift of being honored to die on the cross made this act of God the most glorious act that could ever take place - God sacrificed himself - for me- he didn’t need to or have to but he did -- then gave that grace - that free gift of life to me - I’ll never understand this!- and I don’t think I can because I’m not God- but it sure makes me want to go show that love to the world in which I live --and my only response can be “gee thanks� -- I’m all yours! Wow!!
Psalm 113 - Praise of servants of the LORD - his glory is above the heavens- he reases the poor from the dust to make them sit with princes- Praise God
Prayer - Baptism-Word-Heavenly images-Grace-Forgiveness-Service -- Lord, so much to think about - so much to take in - so much wisdom - so much grace and love - I can’t even begin to understand it all - but you are God -You show yourself to me through your Word - through the voices and actions of friends and people - you are God and I will praise you - you are great - the creator of the universe - the creator of all things - the creator of great and small - way too much for this child to take in - but yet you reveal yourself to me - your reveal yourself to me in your Word, in music and in the soft waking voices of friends - you reveal yourself to me and I stand in awe - you reveal yourself in the grace upon grace of Jesus suffering, death and resurrection - his descent into hell to preach to those lost - descend into my heart this day - you preach to my lost soul - you bring me home - you show me the image and approach to that cross with special friends and a great multitude - we will see your glory - but wait - just look at the words above - look at the glimpse of glory you gave me today - look at the chances to love those near me now - look at the service you place right in my face today -look- you are here - now - in this place - and you call me today to go out into my world and show the love of God - to make it close and personal - cause you are close and personal- that others may see your love shine brightly in this world of sin -- send me today - pick me- I gotta go now! I’m in a hurry! Time to play! I hear your knock on the door- so let’s go! We‘re gonna play outside today!--- Amen

No comments: