Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 10th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Care for another

Readings of the Day
Numbers 14:1-15:16-But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me wholeheartedly, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it.
Mark 14:53-72-At that moment the cock crowed for the second time. Then Peter remembered that Jesus had said to him, "Before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times." And he broke down and wept.
Psalm 53:1-6-They have all fallen away, they are all alike perverse; there is no one who does good, no, not one.
Proverbs 11:4-Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.
Genesis 22:1-19-The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? Abraham said, "God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt offering, my son."

God's Word of the Day
All have sinned and fallen away, but listen to the cock crow, repent and weep, then rise and rejoice for I have provided the sin offering for you.

Story of the Day
All my life I would rise in the morning and give a shout. I would give a shout so loud that the people would rise and the commotion would begin. But this day was different. Any other day, I had no clue what language these humans were using. I couldn't understand a thing that they said. They were like barking dogs to me. But this day, I could understand every word that was said.

This day was different. Once again I was to watch the sun rise. But this day it wasn't the sun in the sky that I was to watch for a new beginning, it was the Son of God that I was to watch for a new beginning. My instructions were to wait and watch and listen for one of the Son's disciples to deny knowing Jesus, and when he did, I was to give a shout. So I heard the first denial and I gave a shout in the way of Peter, but he either didn't hear my shout or denied that I even shouted. I missed hearing his second denial, I later found out. I think this was on purpose. Then on the third denial, both Peter and Jesus were in view. When I heard the third denial, I gave a shout. Then Peter knew. Then Jesus knew and gave Peter a glance. How could this guy who had been so loyal and followed Jesus all this time deny Jesus at the time he needed him the most? All people seem to fall away from God. All of them seem to sin.

But Peter, after hearing my second shout, realized his sin and wept. He wept and begged forgiveness for his cold heart. He wept and fell to the feet of his God and begged. It seems to me, after watching these people for years, that they all need to weep and fall at the feet of God and beg forgiveness. My God and Creator will take care of all needs. My God and Creator has made me to please Him. My God and Creator is my Master. I serve Him gladly. These people should fall and repent.

And so when I saw Peter, fall and weep and repent, I knew that once again, I had shouted at the beginning of a new day. No the sun in the sky had not risen yet. No, the Son of God had not been crucified and risen from the dead yet. But the Light was shining brightly in the life of Peter now. Peter knew that his need for Jesus was all that would ever save him. A new day had begun for these people called humans. A new day, after the dark of denial and sin and death, after the waking up to the stench of their own sin, I saw weeping and repentance. A new day was beginning when a God would love His people so much that He would give the life of His Son for these people to forgive that sin, that denial. A new day had begun as always, right there at the sound of my second shout. It was an awesome new day beginning!

Prayer of the Day
Lord, wake me up to know my sin and smell the stench of my denial of you. Let the cock's crow announce to me that I sin. As I weep in repentance this morning, come to me and give me that precious glance, only You can give. Glance my way in compassion and love and forgiveness, I pray. I need You! Forgive me, I pray. As I go this new day, may I follow Your lead and do Your will, showing the love and compassion You have graciously shown to me. In Jesus name. ---Amen

No comments: