Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 1st - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Presence

Readings of the Day
Leviticus 24:1-25:46-Command the people of Israel to bring you pure oil of beaten olives for the lamp, that a light may be kept burning regularly.
Mark 10:13-31-Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.
Psalm 44:9-26-For he knows the secrets of the heart.
Proverbs 10:20-21-The lips of the righteous feed many...
Mark 1:9-15-And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.

God's Word of the Day
My Spirit will drive you into the wilderness. You will need the everlasting Light to live.

Story of the Day
My friend and I dropped our wives off for some sight-seeing as we drove on to the trail head for a brief hike. As we hiked the trail, we conversed and took in all of the beauty of God's creation along the way. Time seemed to stand still. The trail destination seemed as if it was farther than we had realized. The hike seemed very easy. After reaching our destination and a brief pause to take in the view, we headed back for the trail head.

On the way we noticed that the trail seemed more strenuous now than before. What we didn't realize was that the trail was on a very slight descent before and now was on a constant slight ascent. Then the sun began to set. So we picked up the pace. We must arrive back before sunlight faded or we would be in trouble.

Having no means of light with us we hurried along the trail. We were so engrossed in conversation before that we failed to notice any markers along the way and lost track of the amount of time we would need to return to the trail head.

The sun had finally set and we were walking by some remaining light from the sun peeking over the horizon. The trail was almost impossible to make out now. Within a matter of minutes we would have to make a decision. Should we continue or stop? Within a minute or two we barely made out the trail head and completed out journey. This was a close call and we knew it.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, as I wander in this wilderness of sin and death, I seek the Light of Christ to show me the way. I have turned my back on Your Light and wandered off. I cannot live without Your Light. Forgive my sin. Forgive me of the times that I have turned away, and restore Your Light to me. As I focus and follow Your Light, may my service to You be a pleasing response to the grace You show. For I can only live in Your Light. Only in You can I live, and only through You can I survive this wilderness. ---Amen

No comments: