Friday, March 20, 2009

March 20th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Patch

Readings of the Day
Numbers 30:1-31:54-When a man makes a vow to the LORD, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.
Luke 4:1-30-Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.
Psalm 63:1-11-O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Proverbs 11:20-21-...those of blameless ways are his delight.
Ephesians 1:7-14-In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace that he lavished on us.

God's Word of the Day
Jesus kept the vow for you. Now go in My grace in service and love towards Me and one another.

Story of the Day
I had forty days. Forty days to do my work. And I tried everything I could think of to trip him up. I offered him power and riches. I offered him everything I could think of to offer him. If only I could win him over to my side. If only I could do this, then I would be the most powerful being in the universe. I would finally rule! They just won't listen to me. I could make this place a lot of fun. I could show people how to make themselves gods, one by one. But this guy won't listen to me. All he does is speak scripture to me. Well, I can do that too. I can probably speak scripture better than he can. But each word of scripture I offer, he counters with something else. I had forty days and I found out it would take me longer. So I let him go. Maybe he will defeat himself. Maybe he just won't make it. Maybe he will die! I hope so anyway. Forty days! Damn!

Prayer of the Day
Lord, when I'm tempted, help me endure. Help me to see through the offers of riches and power and selfish pride. For on the other side of temptation, I see Your gracious death and life. I see all that You have done out of love to defeat the devil and all his wiles. May I always focus on that cross and see the death and the pain but also see the life and the love. For in You alone do I have redemption through Your blood and forgiveness of my trespasses, in the richness of Your grace which You have lavished upon me. ---Amen

No comments: