Tuesday, March 07, 2006

March 7th People Reflection

Tuesday 3/7/2006

Matthew 11.20-30-Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace, I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.

Leviticus 13-Any person with a serious skin disease must wear torn clothes, leave his hair loose and unbrushed, cover his upper lip, and cry out, Unclean! Unclean!

Proverbs 25-Don’t work yourself into the spotlight…

2 Esdras 2.15-32-Embrace your children until I come, and proclaim mercy to them; because my springs run over, and my grace will not fail.

Genesis 37.12-24-When Joseph came to his brothers, they pulled off his fancy coat and threw him into a dry well.

Romans 12.16-21-Make friends with ordinary people.

Psalm 119.49-56-Even in the night I think about you, LORD…

"I’ve got a fresh pot brewing now."- The girl at Java Johnny’s—she knows what I want as soon as I enter the door. In some ways she reminds me of Jesus- knowing what I need before I even arrive- knows if I’m tired, worn out, burned out on religion- and she gives me a brief escape- a walk and allows me to watch how to serve others- how easy she makes it all seem- she accepts me as I enter the door- even if I know I should be yelling- Unclean! Unclean! – because of the sins of my day- she accepts me and serves me and prepares for my arrival- in some ways – in her subtle way – she works into my spotlight- she doesn’t do this on purpose- just in her own subtle way- she makes friends with ordinary people- keeps all the judgement away- and would never heave me into a dry well to rot- yea- she emulates Jesus in some ways- a Jesus that I think about all the time- and that’s how I should be with others- because in many cases – I think that just maybe she at times IS Jesus- acting through a young girl behind a coffee counter- it’s so nice how God chooses people you would least expect. "I’ve got a fresh pot brewing now." – Thanks be to God!

Prayer-Lord, act through me to some stranger- or even some friend this day. -- Amen

No comments: