Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Struggle

Readings of the Day
John 13.21-38-By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
2 Chronicles 19-Deal courageously, and may the LORD be with the good!
Psalm 78.38-55-Yet he, being compassionate, forgave their iniquity, and did not destroy them; often he restrained his anger, and did not stir up all his wrath. He remembered that they were but flesh, a wind that passes and does not come again.
Matthew 21:18-22-Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive.

God's Word of the Day
I know of your struggles and give you faith. Believe in Me and love Me and one another.

Story of the Day
I heard the scanner tell of a robbery at the local Taco Bell. They caught the crooks. How good it was to see the wicked caught and punished. How good it was to have "bad" people off the streets. They got what they deserved! Then the trial. A life of need and want. A life very different from what most of us had received. People hooked on drugs and homeless. People struggling to feed themselves and their family. "They got what they deserved!" The thought went through my mind. Did I ever get what I deserved? Why did they get what they deserved? Thoughts in my mind as to why people are in the situations they are in. Why were these people raised in a different family and environment than I. Was it what they deserved? If I had been in this same situation with this same upbringing and environment; would I have done the same? Questions that are, if honestly dealt with, sometimes hard to answer. But the law was the law. They had choices to make. Were they conditioned to make the wrong choices in life? All questions of difficulty. But then I thought of all the prisoners in the Bible. Just think about that! Some deserving imprisonment and others not. I thought of Jesus, a prisoner, forgiving the criminal on the cross. I thought of how God sent His Son just for all of us in our situations, whatever they may be. I thought of His love and compassion and how we all need His grace. He did not destroy flesh but saved all flesh. He came to save me and these here on trial who robbed the Taco Bell. Not that any of us are innocent. Not at all! In fact we are all guilty. Myself and these on trial before me now. Guilty as charged. Face the penalty, no doubt. But live, loved and forgiven through the suffering, death and resurrection of our Savior, Jesus. Thanks be to God!

Prayer of the Day
Lord, the judgment is true. The penalty is harsh. I deserve what I get. And then I see Jesus, on that cross in love and compassion taking on my sin. You are good and loving. You have saved all flesh through Your actions. You restrained Your anger and out of love saved us. Thank You! Thank You for the faith You give in abundance. Faith enough to move mountains. Faith enough to forgive. Faith enough to live in trust and hope of all You have done. Faith enough to face the penalty. Faith enough to live in You. As You have loved, now I go out into Your Kingdom by Your side in Your love to love those You present me with this day. ---Amen

No comments: