Sunday, September 07, 2008

September7th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Persistence

Readings of the Day
John 12.1-26-Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.
2 Chronicles 14-15-Nevertheless the heart of Asa was true all his days.
Psalm 77-I will call to mind the deeds of the LORD...
Matthew 18:15-20-For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.

God's Word of the Day
Die to yourself and live in Me and I will live in you.

Story of the Day
It was a warm summer morning as my friend Larry and I sat beside the small creek near our house. We threw a few stones in the creek. We talked and imagined what it would be like to be all grown up and on our own. We imagined being army men or the guys that picked up the trash. We thought about what life would be like in the future. Then our thoughts moved on to adventure. I wonder if the Ol Man is up yet? The Ol Man that would yell at us as we moved under his house through a pipe that ran under the streets from the creek. Let's see! So into the pipe we went. It was dark, but there was just enough light to see our way. This was always an adventure. As we approached the place where the Ol Man would open this little trap door and yell at us, we dared to throw some rocks at the trap door. Then it opened. The Ol Man yelled that he had a gun and would shoot us. We ran! He never shot anything but as we came out the pipe at the other end, we realized the adventure was fun. I had a pocket of some pennies and a few nickles. So we came up out of the creek to the store nearby. We picked out some candy and paused to eat it before going back through the pipe and back home. We were very quiet this time past the Ol Man's house. Back to the other side our hot summer day continued. We reflected on how we had somehow made it once again past the Ol Man's house. We were not killed! We didn't even get hurt. But we also wondered when we might happen to be killed. Why didn't the Ol Man shoot? It must have been some super power force from beyond ourselves that kept us safe. Our minds wondered way out to Superman and other heroes that save the day. So the rest of the day, we played, Superman, Batman and Army guy and saved the world with some super power above and beyond human abilities.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, You let me see the real Power. You show Yourself to me at my door each and every day. We wander out into Your Kingdom and do Your will day after day. You are the Power that protects me. You are the Power that is by my side in pain, and trouble. You are that source that defeats armies greater than any army I could muster on my own. You saved Asa and his troops from defeat. You teach me to die to myself and live in You and trust in Your Power. You are King of my universe. You are Lord and Savior. You are God! May my heart always remain true to You, day after day. May I gather together with those You give to me and may You always be present with us as we adventure through these lives You have graciously given each and every one of us. ---Amen

No comments: