Friday, September 12, 2008

September 12th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Update

Readings of the Day
John 14.15-31-If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
2 Chronicles 21.2-22.12-He did what was evil in the sight of the LORD...
Psalm 79-...from generation to generation we will recount your praise.
Acts 7:9-16-...but God was with him...

God's Word of the Day
I know you will sin, but I am with you even when you do evil in my sight and rescue you from sin. Proclaim My glory from generation to generation and respond to My Love by keeping My commandments.

Story of the Day
We gathered around the patch of dirt on the playground. A circle was drawn and we drew out our small satchels of marbles. I love to do this! We played marbles on the ground that sunny September day during our break from the classroom studies. Lose a few and gain a few and pick up some great marbles now and then. But when I went on a winning streak, I thought that I couldn't be beat. I was relentless in defeating all of my friends and taking almost all of their marbles. Then came Eddy. He was really good. I had been mouthing off about how I was the greatest. Eddy put me in my place. Even though Eddy was a year older, I figured I could handle him. Eddy was relentless in defeating me. He found great joy in humbling me and taking almost all of the marbles I had won over the past week. He took so many marbles that I had to go to the corner store after school to replenish my supply. I hated Eddy for what he did to me. Then I realized that I had done this same things to my friends in my own grade. I had lost the focus of having fun with the game. I had lost the focus of making friends by playing the game and had made it into a way for me to prove myself so great. So, back on the playground my playing changed. I played to have fun with my friends. I played to cheer the other person on. I played to build friendships that would last. This was so much more fun that playing to prove myself. I proved myself by respecting my friends. Marbles became fun once again. Eddy taught me a lesson and showed me how to love my friends.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, I tend to lose focus now and then on what is important. I tend to curl up and focus on my own needs. I tend to make myself more by making someone else less. As I turn from You and curl inward on myself, I realize that I need You. There is always an Eddy around that's better than me. Forgive my sin and show Your face as I turn to You. For You come to me and spin me around when needed. You show me Your Love. In my sin You come to me and open my eyes to myself and contrast my selfishness with Your awesome and forgiving love. Teach me to emulate Your Love to those I'm with this day. Shine through me and let the world see Your glory active in me. Build relationships with the neighbors You send to me this day that center on Your Love and Your Way. All this I ask in Jesus wonderful name. ---Amen

No comments: