Saturday, November 29, 2008

November 28th & 29th - Let's Play!

Theme
Thanksgiving


Readings
Galatians 3.1-4.20-But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children. And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" so you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.
Jeremiah 51-52-It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
Lamentations 1-2-Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!
Psalm 144-Bow your heavens, O LORD, and come down; touch the mountains so that they smoke.
Psalm 145-The LORD is good to all, and his compassion is over all that he has made. All your works shall give thanks to you, O LORD, all all your faithful shall bless you.

God's Word
Be thankful. I have come down and touched the mountains and touched the very heart of you.

Story
It was so eerie that day. I walked outside and it was completely quiet. The usual city noises were absent. I couldn't hear any traffic from the interstate. The nearby steel mill was silent. No sirens, no airplanes, no trucks or buses, no sound of voices. It was silent. I hopped in my car and began to drive my usual route to work. No cars were on the streets. The gas station was open but no one was inside. The clerk was gone and there were no customers except me. I pumped the gas using my credit card and then went on. Still no traffic. I went by the mall and found no one. Up to the traffic light and I was the only car on the road. As I went onto the interstate there were no trucks or cars. I was the only car on the interstate. I drove to Cincinnati and there was no sign of life. So I went downtown. I parked my car and ran through the normally busy streets yelling at the top of my lungs. No answer, only the echo of my voice against the buildings. Silence and emptiness all around. I became frantic and ran wildly. Finally I saw a single man walking down the street. I run up behind him and anxiously grabbed his shoulder to get in front of him. I felt like hugging this only person I had found all morning. The man opened his arms to me and greeted me with a smile and a loving hug. I was so thankful for his presence in my life. And as I peered into his face...I saw Jesus! My Savior had come to me and touched my life! Then suddenly as I turned away, I noticed that the streets were full, traffic was hectic and the world had instantly returned to all I was accustomed to. Turning back to Jesus, he smiled, and we walked to work, side by side ready to serve another day in His Kingdom.

Prayer
Lord, reach into my heart and restore that relationship I so dearly need. For in Your coming I give You all thanks and praise. You are my King! You are my Savior! You are my life. You fill my life with all I need. You bring life to life. I will walk thankfully by Your side this day and all the days You give to me. ---Amen

No comments: