Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 12th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Sixth Sunday of Easter
John 15:9-17 (NRSV)

Christ, the friend and lover

As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
Reflection
Even though the mystery confounds us, Jesus has shown us his purpose in coming into this world and into our lives. Jesus has made it all so obvious. At one time we could not begin to understand what God was up to. At one time all of us were condemned to hell. But then God changed it all.

God sent Jesus into this world to love us, die for us and save us from that eternal condemnation. We are now, through faith and belief, children of God. God has given us a new life. God has chosen us! Yes, we are God's friends.

Our joy is complete and everlasting. Joy that overcomes the hardships of life. Joy that sustains us through illness, mourning, depression, injury, hunger, and anything else that may come our way in life. We have a joy that gives us a spirit of life and love and purpose. We have a joy in relationship with God and one another. We have the love of Jesus.

And in this joy we go out to bear fruit. We give love to all. Not just that "church lady" love either. Love that is sincere and honest and open. Love that at times sounds critical but is in the caring of another. Love that is genuine we give to one another. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Jesus, thanks for all you have done for this world and for me. Be with me this day as I venture out in the love you have taught to me, that I may demonstrate and bear the fruit of love to all the world... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: