Saturday, May 05, 2012

May 5th Gospel Reflection by Bill Lynch




John 15:1-8 (NRSV)
Christ the vine 

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. 

Reflection
Jesus is genuine - I AM. Jesus is God and we are the branches that feed from him. The Father is the one who cares for the vine. Each one of us has been called to bear fruit. But how?

A branch that does not bear fruit is useless. A branch that bears fruit is pruned and cared for by the Father. God cares for us and loves us deeply. God wants us to live and bear fruit.

Jesus is telling the disciples they have been pruned and made clean. They have walked with Jesus, lived with Jesus and been taught by Jesus. The disciples have been pruned. The dead and useless branches have been cut away and they are made clean. As Christians we too follow Jesus, are taught by Jesus through the Holy Spirit and have been made clean through belief, faith and the Sacraments.

The branch is fed sap from the vine. As branches we must realize where our sustenance comes from. We are fed by God through the Holy Spirit and given live. We live because Jesus lives. We are alive because Jesus lives eternally. The branch is fully dependent upon the vine.

If we stay with God and live in God we will desire to do God's will. It's just a natural response when we see the life we have graciously been given. We will bear fruit and glorify God and we will be God's disciples. We have been given a chance to live through what Jesus has done for us and all people. We live because of Jesus and are cared for by the Father and grow through that wonderful food of the Spirit. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Father, I give you thanks that you choose to love me so much. You are willing to do the hard thing as a Father and prune death and sin from my life. Make me clean that I may grow and feed from the sap of the Holy Spirit through the vine of Jesus and bear fruit to your glory... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: