Monday, May 07, 2012

May 7th Word by Bill Lynch




Acts 10:44 (New Revised Standard)
 While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word.


"I can't sweep that up!"

Words said by my wife, Sue, as we cleaned the garage yesterday. What was it? It was the dried carcass and the bones of a long dead mouse out of the garage. Was it the same mouse that chewed the wires in her car's engine that would let the car start? I'm not sure, but Sue was not going to sweep this thing up no matter what. Eventually my son, Bryan swept it up somewhere along the line as we continued to clean and organize.

So what does this have to do with the scripture verse? It reminded me of how it must be if I don't listen to the Word. The Holy Spirit brings life, growth and an abundance of gifts to me as I listen to the Word of God. I am called through this Spirit to a life in God. I am called to serve, forgive and to love. I am called and my faith is deepened.

Without the Holy Spirit my life would be as dead as this mouse. I would be no more than a carcass and some bones. But instead, through the hearing of the Word and the grace of God, I have new life. Full new life. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you have shown me your love. You have prepared me to love those you give to me. In the fullness of new life I go this day to love and serve all those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: