Friday, May 18, 2012

May 18th Reflection by Bill Lynch


The Straw

So there I was the short straw of the bunch. Is it better to blend in with all of the other straws or to be unique? I'm not sure. I suppose it depends on the reason. Sometimes if I'm the one picked there is a happy reaction from the crowd and disappointment by the one person that chose me. In the other situation there is joy and laughter from the one person that chooses me and disappointment from the rest of the crowd.

The only thing that I can see that is good about all of this is that I am chosen. I am unique. I bring emotion no matter what and a mixture of emotion at that. Most of the time I am tossed aside once the decision has been made. But most of the time I am talked about for some time. Usually the lifetime of those involved in the decision.

I remember hearing of a story similar to mine. This story was about casting lots. A decision to replace someone was being made. This was a decision between two good people. One was to replace a disciple of Jesus that no longer was with the group. There was no way for me to understand which lot was good or bad. Both of these men were qualified. So one was chosen. I think the idea was that the person chosen by casting lots was led by the Spirit to be chosen. It seems in this case they both were chosen by the Spirit in this way. The two men just would move on to different jobs in the Church.

In any case they were both selected to be servants of Christ and servants of one another. Jesus has chosen each person and through the gifts of the Holy Spirit we are called and sent into the world to tell the story of Christ and to love other's as Jesus loved us.

Seems to me like this casting of lots was a win for all involved. I guess the short straw is a win for all too. A decision is made and acts are carried out. Only if we could make sure that all the acts carried out were as honorable and trustworthy as the acts Jesus would have carried out.

Prayer
Lord, as I act out today, may my actions be pleasing to you. --- Amen

No comments: