Friday, May 04, 2012

May 4th Reflection by Bill Lynch

The Leaves Outside my Window



Revelation 22:1-2 (New Revised Standard)



1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.




Reflection
As I look out my window, I see the leaves of a tree gently blowing in the breeze. The sight brings a calmness to me. It's relaxing and comforting to watch on this warm evening in May. But just a couple of hours ago, I witnessed these same leaves taking a beating from the rain, wind and hail that passed through.

Sometimes God speaks through these leaves. Times when the storms come and  times when there is peace and calm. As I think about the leaves I have seen in the past, I think of times when the leaves are tender and new. Then I think of times when they are hardy and strong in the midst of summer. As fall approaches they turn wonderful colors and blaze in glory one last time before they fall to the ground at the end of their season of life.

God cares for and provides a cycle of life for these leaves I see. If I were a leaf, I could rest assured that no matter what, live or die, I would be cared for by my Creator. Through the cold and in the heat, I would know that I am wonderfully beautiful in my own way, just as God intended for me to be. If I fell to my death too early, God would see to it that I provided nourishment for the tree from which I came. If I lived a full life, once again I would provide nourishment for that same tree or another tree or plant nearby.

I can relate to the leaves gently blowing in the breeze outside of my window. I know that God loves me so much that Jesus came to this earth, lived, died, rose and ascended in love for all creation and life as my God and Savior. Those leaves tell of the love of God. Those leaves speak to me...about love...about life...and about purpose. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you came to this earth for me and for those around me. You demonstrated a love that surpasses death. You make a cycle of life for all people. Teach us to live the life you would have us live. Teach us to serve as your would serve. Teach to see the beauty in each other that we may love one another as you have loved us. And know our deep and passionate love for you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: