Sunday, January 14, 2007

January 14th Daily Word and Visions from God

Luke 12.1-31-"But seek His kingdom..."
Genesis 21-Sarah said, "God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me."
Psalm 14-When the LORD restores His captive people, Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.
John 2.1-11-Jesus said to them, "Fill the waterpots with water."
---
A little bubble gum machine. It was one of the kids, not sure which one now. I don't think the money ever paid for the bubble gum in this machine. Dad or Mom always bought more gum and the money would just seem to recycle itself. Especially once the kids knew how to open it and get the money out. Then they figured out how to open it and just get the gum out. No need to even recycle the money. How many times have I short cycled my relationship with God in this same way? Either recycled what he already had provided or just figured a way to take and take and take. God blesses me in so many ways that you would think I would be glad to return to him. But I sin and don't always do this. Sarah thought it was funny when she heard the message that she would have a child. But when she did God blessed her with fruitful laughter. Laughter that we can all share in. For in the blessing of Isaac, God shows us his salvation through Jesus. Laughter as a blessing. Sarah wanted to short cycle the whole thing by giving Abraham a son from her maid. But God had a grander plan than that. I need to be patient sometimes and wait for God to act. He always does act. He always answers prayer in His time. I'm sure that when the Israelites were captive they wanted immediate relief. But only in God's time they were restored. I'm sure the Israelites wanted to short cycle the process and escape slavery. But they had to wait on God's time. I think rather than short cycling the gumball machine I need to wait and seek God's Kingdom. Wait and seek God's guidance. Wait for God to act and then He will show me the way. He will show me the waterpots to fill with his miracle and grace and salvation for all the world. And then...then...will that gumball of blessing bring laughter and joy and love for all God's blessings.
---
Lord, teach me patience. Teach me to wait. Teach me to act in your timing not mine. ---Amen

No comments: