Monday, January 01, 2007

January 1st Daily Word and Visions from God

Luke 5.27-39-And he left everything behind, and got up and began to follow Him.
Genesis 1-2-Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being...Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil...The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."
Psalm 1-He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.
Luke 2.15-21-The shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them.
---
This is a friend I made in 2006. He is with me this morning for my first Prayer and Devotion of 2007. A new friend and companion. Last year I made many new friends. Last year I also renewed old friendships with some Presbyterians at a church in Morning Sun. I stumbled upon a cousin I didn't know I had. Friends that have prayed for me and that I have prayed for them. Friends from North Carolina through Sarah. Friends made through Stephanie. Friends of all walks of life and even some canine friends too like Abe here. But the best friendship of all comes for you and me in our friendship with Jesus. The one I will leave it all for and follow. I like how in this reading the word began to follow is used. Following Jesus is a journey. We can only begin the journey. We can only take the first step. Then Jesus leads us in that journey all of our life. Jesus leads us out of our homes to play with him in his Kingdom. Jesus leads us to Life. Life from and in a new creation. Jesus leads us to eat from the Tree of Life and steers us away from eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Jesus, to me, is that Tree of Life. I will feed on him day after day in this New Year. And in feeding on Jesus, my Tree of Life, I will prosper by the steams of water. I will bear His fruit to be used in His Kingdom as He wills me to use it. And in this Tree of Life, this Baby born into my life, I will go forth into a New Year praising and singing and running and playing with and for Jesus for all that I have seen and heard...Just as I have been told. Thanks be to God for friends. Thanks be to God for Abe. Thanks be to God for the friendship of Jesus. All in a New Year. Thanks be to God! and...Happy New Year!
---
Lord, I give you all thanks and praise for the gift of friendship...Oh what a friend we have in Jesus! Thanks! ---Amen

No comments: