Friday, January 26, 2007

January 26th Daily Word and Visions from God

Luke 19.28-48-As they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, "Why are you untying the colt?" The said, "The Lord has need of it."
Genesis 34-Now Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah his daughter...
Psalm 26-Redeem me, and be gracious to me.
Psalm 71.1-6-Incline your ear to me and save me.
---
A CB Base station tuned to the emergency channel. A channel used for emergency situations and only rarely since the Citizens Band is not in much use recently. Jesus sent his disciples to borrow a car of sorts. Actually it looks more like stealing to me but I guess not. The disciples just took the colt. Doesn't sound like they asked. They waited until the owners asked. Then the owners said ok. It shows to me how widely accepted Jesus was at this time. The owners just let it happen. They didn't use the emergency channel, they didn't put up a fight. I suppose they were actually honored that God would want to use one of their possessions in his mission. They probably felt that they would have the inside track to the kingdom of this new King. But Jesus was a different kind of King. Not the kind of King they were expecting. Jacob heard that Dinah had been raped. Another crime. It was answered by a crime and some trickery by Jacob's sons. In revenge the men of the city were all killed for the rape of their sister. No one went to the emergency channel here either. People trying to control each other's lives. An emergency. Sister and daughter raped. Jesus riding into Jerusalem as a King but soon since he wasn't the King the people expected; He was killed. No one on the emergency channel. But I better use it. Not to defend the plan of God. God can take care of that. I better use it, not to defend the injustice of my sinful response to another sin. I better use that emergency channel to call out my own sin. To call to God for help with my own failures and shortcomings. I better use that channel to confess to God that I need him like I need no other. I need his forgiveness. This is an emergency. I need him, my family needs him, my friends need him, the world needs him. And then we have prayer and confession and forgiveness, and salvation. From the emergency channel. A call from the emergency channel to one who is riding the colt. The King of the Kingdom of Heaven and Earth. Not just King over some Roman Empire. But King of all. Living forever. That's the use of the emergency channel in prayer. Thanks be to God for the emergency channel. I think it's time to use it now.
---
Lord, you alone are King ---King of all---I praise you and honor your name. Forgive me---help me to forgive others---Love me---show me how to love others---Lead me---And send me as Yours---Amen

No comments: