Sunday, April 24, 2005

April 24th Reflection

Sunday 4/24/2005

Acts 10.1-33 - Cornelius -just some guy-has a vision to send for Peter- so he does- Peter has a vision of a sheet coming down with unclean animals and he is told to eat them- that’s against the law- do it anyway- then the men show up to ask Peter if he will come to see Cornelius-- Peter does- Cornelius tells Peter about his vision - and now it’s set up- Peter is with Gentiles- are the Gentiles part of God’s people now- what does God have to say about this? --I like how the visions of ordinary people call others together- to talk and to listen to what God has to say- what visions of God will anyone see today?-- I like this explanation - it sounds good- A vision is like a dream, but the person having the vision may or may not be asleep. In the Bible, visions happen when God’s Spirit or a messenger of God, such as an angel, speaks to the deepest thoughts of a person and provides a clear picture of something they are to do or say.

Joshua 7-8 - Ai- they send spies to investigate- naw-- only need a few to take that town- Joshua sends a couple thousand-- they get beat and run off- what happened?- where was God almighty?-Joshua goes to God - complaining- God tells Joshua- stop lying there and get up!- God told the Israelites not to take anything for themselves when they defeated Jericho- someone did- and God will point that individual out- depend on God- if God doesn’t think I need it- then don’t take it for myself- I must trust God- Achan was the guilty one- Achan was stoned for what he had done- trust in God alone!- So Joshua sends an army to attack Ai- and lets the people of Ai chase them away - as they are being chased another Israelite army will come in form behind and take the city - then the running army can turn and trap the fighting people of Ai-- God is clever-and God saves

Job 24 - Job is ready for a trial with God- sinners are guilty- but Job feels that he is innocent- I think Job wants to get on with a trial with God.

Don’t fake it - be real as Jesus is real and demonstrates leadership through redemption. Point to Jesus and remember the nourishing gift of grace. Accept it and minister for life.

God commands me to pray - he will listen- I must listen to him

John 14.1-14 - Believe! - Jesus comes to me- not I to him- believe and do Jesus works

Jonah 2 - From the death of the depths of the sea- to the life of puke chunks on a beach - God will bring me from death to life in many strange ways.

Psalm 124 - My help is in the name of God- only he can save me

Prayer- Lord- you give many different vision and dreams to all sorts of ordinary people- lead and guide your people this day - for in your people you work and dwell - in your people you speak - hear my praises this day - forgive my sins this day - lead me this day towards the prepared place you have for me- I will follow and believe - I will have trust, hop, and faith that you are God and will win all battles-- I’m ready - let’s go -- Amen

No comments: