Saturday, April 30, 2005

April 30th Reflection

Saturday 4/30/2005

Acts 13.26-52 - Listen to this message about how to be saved, because it is for everyone--- The leaders didn’t realize who Jesus was- they didn’t understand- so they condemned Jesus- Jesus was put to death- Jesus was placed in a tomb- Bt God raised him from death!- Then Jesus appeared to his followers for many days- God has kept his promise- God raised Jesus from death and will never let his body decay- everyone else’s body decays - but not Jesus- My friends, the message is that Jesus can forgive your sins! - Everyone who has faith in Jesus is set free!!!- After the sermon-- some people accepted the gift - some people rejected it-- God gives each of us a choice-- we can turn to him and graciously, humbly accept this great gift freely given to us -- or doubt it- don’t believe it and turn away. I accept the gift- you go ahead too-- it’ll make you happy beyond imagination!

Joshua 20-21 - Safe towns -- they were set up for accidental killings- say I was working with someone- started up a machine we were working on to troubleshoot a problem - but I failed to block a ram that comes down to punch a part- my friend as part of his body under this ram and I turn the machine on thinking the ram is blocked- my friend is killed-- I didn’t do it on purpose- I wasn’t trying to kill my friend- yea- it was a stupid mistake on both our parts - but it was an accident-- at the time in the Bible we are talking about each family could appoint a person called the “redeemer”-- the life was considered in the blood- so the blood of the dead one had an impact on the family-since they are related by blood- the redeemer would be obligated to seek revenge on my and kill me - blood for blood- eye for eye-- all that kind of thing-- well it was an accident-- I didn’t do it on purpose- I loved my friend -- with the Safe towns- I would run to the Safe towns and would be safe from the redeemer until there was a trial-- one other method would be for me to run to an altar and hang on to the altar-- but you are kinda stuck there for a while unit the priest decide what to do with you-- So that’s where the Safe Towns came in-- if it was murder- than your life was taken- if not- you got to stay in the Safe Town until the High Priest died - tempers cooled - then you could go back home-- but in the least God took care of you -- So -- what about today-- this may be strange thinking- I really kill God- with my sinfulness- so I run to the Safe Town-- God now has the right to send someone from his family to redeem -- but instead of chasing me down the redeemer God sends in Jesus - comes to forgive my sin-- to tell me it was all an accident- that I am now free to go home- to live with God again where I belong-- It’s time I come on out of that Safe Town and go home to live with God! ----The next part is about all the towns given to the Levites to live in-- they were spread out all over the place-- as I read these last few chapters- I think - Man! --this is boring stuff! -- but what if I were alive then and was reading this-- it would be pretty exciting- I would have just been in the desert all my life - living in tents- pooping in holes out back - toilet paper??- whatever was available - maybe just a flick of the finger- I don’t know -- wanna shake hands the next time? -- anyway -- all that to set the scene-- now I see that God is giving me a home- a place I can build- get water- wash my hands- cook - sleep- grow food - have fun in private -- all that stuff-- Now read these chapters-- I would be excited to read what God has to say- I’m getting a big huge gift- a huge improvement in my life- scenery to look at when I wake up in the morning- people laughing cause we are all wealthy- no more flinging poop off our fingers -- makes reading these chapters so much easier-- so what about today?--- God is doing the same thing for me- preparing a real special place for me- it’s there now - every once in a while he lets me peek into my room- feel how great it is- look out the windows - look at the scenery - notice the perfumes present - the flowers and trees - hear the birds singing- see friends in my room laughing and telling jokes and playing games with each other- God has this room all prepared for me- I look out another window- if I want I can run downstairs to the yard and join in a game of football with all my friends where were all really good and have a blast all day long ----Now that way of looking at it makes these past few chapters of Joshua take on a little more meaning!--God loves me so much he is and has prepared a room- a Promised Land for me!

Job 30 - Hey!!-- Not a Yo Momma joke -- but a Yo Pappa joke-- Yo Pappa’s so ugly - he’s a disgrace to my sheep dog! --People are making fun of Job now and he is at the bottom of his pit-- so sad!

While I’m living in the meantime -between the acts- may I see God’s current might acts- believe and do the work I’m called to do and set the stage for Jesus - here and now

Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins- Jesus- life-body-blood- give for my sins! -- I am saved through Jesus! -- thanks be to God!

1 Peter 3.13-22 - Don’t worry about harm- be eager to do good! - don’t worry about suffering or intimidation - in your heart sanctify Jesus- in my heart set Jesus apart- at the top of the list- Jesus is my first priority- it’s fine to suffer for doing good- Jesus in my heart - #1 Priority - keep it that way!!

1 Timothy 6.6-11 - I brought nothing into the world- I will take nothing out- be content with food and clothing- forget the temptations of riches and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness.

Psalm 98 - Sing-make a joyful noise!- run-play - it’s Saturday - swing- climb the monkey bars- tell of God’s awesome love- put your ear in a shell and hear the ocean roar- blow on a instrument- pound out a tune on a piano- whistle- God made it all--- O sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things.

Prayer - You know- you really do give the words to say - to me and to each of us who follow in your ways - you give me the things to do - the places to go - the time to talk to others - and a wonderful time to play football in your big backyard- just like you gave your early disciples all the words they need to say- send me out this day with the words you want me to say - fill my mind with your thoughts and direct my actions this day - as I meet your children take that opportunity to speak your word through me- fill me with your Spirit- I come to you this morning repenting of all my sin - and ask you to forgive me and love me like you always have- I pray for the needs of those who are sick or mourning the death of a loved one- who are hungry - who are in danger- who are in prison - who are in battles of all kinds - rescue all of your children I pray- show all of us that Promised Land you have prepared for us - and teach us to be kind to one another- to love one another- to gather together like children in play and not fight and fuss over stupid stuff- let each one of your children look into their hearts and see you there - and make you number one in their lives and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness-- for you are God - and for the life, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension and gift of life through Jesus I give you my everlasting praise of joy-- It’s Saturday -- you’re at my door-- can Billy come out to play! -- gotta go Mom-- be back tonight! -- It’s time to play! --- Amen

No comments: