Thursday, April 07, 2005

April 7th Reflection

Thursday 4/7/2005

Matthew 27.32-66 - Jesus is led to his crucifixion- Such a familiar story - yet always new - Simon of Cyrene forced to carry Jesus’ cross -- what an honor- did it feel like an honor? - probably not-- two criminals on Jesus’ left and right- what an honor - did it feel like an honor?- probably not - then all the mocking - “He trusted God, so let God save him, if he wants to.”--Little do they know the miracle right in front of their own eyes-what an honor to see- did it feel like an honor? - probably not - At noon it turned dark and stayed that way until 3pm- nature even mourns - what an honor-did it feel like an honor?- probably not - Jesus shouts - “Why have you forsaken me?” -- what an honor to hear Jesus last words- did it feel like an honor? - probably not - Then to see the curtain of the temple tear from top to bottom- the earth shake- rocks split and people raised to life from their graves - what an honor- did it feel like an honor?- probably not - These grave people later -after Jesus resurrection came out of their graves and into Jerusalem to be seen- what an honor- did it feel like an honor- probably so! - The officer was frightened and proclaimed the “This man really was God’s Son!” - what an honor- did it feel like an honor- probably so! - Joseph of Arimathea came to get the body of Jesus for a proper burial - what an honor - did it feel like and honor? - probably so! - Mary Magdalene and Mary carefully guarded the tomb - what an honor - did it feel like an honor?-probably so! - But Pilate sent Soldiers to guard the tomb - what an honor- did it feel like an honor?- probably so! -- You see at first my won selfishness - my own sinfulness took my eye off of God and centered my life around me- I see many things but in the light of my own eyes- I can’t see the light of God when I’m like this - things that should feel like an honor become hallow- there is no honor in myself- but as things change - as I see the death of Jesus - as I realize the impact of what God did- as I realize the love God has shown - things that happen - I begin to see through the eyes of Jesus- I see his humble servant hood and love and I see the honor - it is an honor to be loved by Jesus - it is an honor to give my life to him- it is an honor to be a part of his ministry - it is an honor and a joy to be brought from death to life.

Deuteronomy 7-8 - When you go into the land- trust in God- he will defeat the enemies- destroy the evil in the land- the idol worship - don’t be concerned with gaining wealth - god takes care of you - he will feed you- just like he fed the manna- God taught a lesson - people need more than food to live - I need every Word that God has spoken - God corrects me- so obey his commands - worship God and love him- God has a good land prepared for you - praise God and never forget him

Job 7 - Why does God even care about me- why all the pain- why all the sorrow -does God even care?- in the grand scheme of time- I’m a nothing - less than a second - here -then gone- so who cares?

Look, listen, touch, taste- Jesus resurrection is in the center of the tomb of my heart. I now have life in death. The door will not hold the Giver of life back.

Encourage my neighbors family and friends to remain loyal.

Psalm 116.1-4, 12-19 - Lift up the cup of salvation and call on God! - Pay vows to God- I am God’s servant!

Hebrews 9.24-28 - Jesus died once- for all sin- the sacrificing is done- don’t need to do it over and over-- and Jesus will come again to save me as I eagerly wait.

Psalm 93 - God is lifted up- lifted up on that cross of glory-power and saving grace - Jesus is lifted up! - Thanks be to God!

Quote from Portals of Prayer - Thursday, April 7 --”Jesus took our place as our substitute. On the cross He died for us to make up for our failures, to pay the penalty for our sins, and to bring us from death to life.”

Prayer- Lord- You died - but you also gave life - you bring honor - and honor only through you - no wonder Job had trouble when he was ill and in pain - wouldn’t we all - help me - Job and all others be able to see how precious we are in your sight - you love us so much that you gave your very life for us - to save us from our own sin- that’s the answer- now I give the life you gave me back to you - use me this day in your kingdom- use me to love the people you surround me with this day - use my mouth to proclaim your story - to sing your praises -- may I be a delight - may I be your desire this day. -- Amen

No comments: