Monday, August 18, 2008

August 18th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Work is joy in Christ

Readings of the Day
John 3.22-36-He must increase, but I must decrease.
1 Chronicles 13-14-"How can I bring the ark of God into my care?"
Zechariah 3-For on the stone that I have set before Joshua, on a single stone with seven facets, I will engrave its inscription, says the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the guilt of this land in a single day.
2 Kings 5.1-14-So he went down and immersed himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God; his flesh was restored like the flesh of a young boy, and he was clean.

God's Word of the Day
Immerse yourself in your baptismal waters. In you, I will increase and create you anew.

Story of the Day
The car I was driving ran out of gas, so I got out to take a look at how I could get this thing out of the flow of traffic. People would just drive by and not offer any assistance. So I thought that maybe I could put one leg out the door and give a push. To my surprise this worked. I could push with one leg and steer at the same time. It seemed so easy. But it was only because I was on a slight hill. Upon reaching the bottom of the hill, I realized that this was more than I could do. I couldn't move the car any longer. What I thought I could do under my own power, obviously was only the deception of the hill. I needed an outside power to do what needed to be done. I couldn't rely on my own strength, but needed something new.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, sometimes I think I have it all under my control and that I don't need You. Sometimes I think that I may even be the one to reach out and save You from tipping over. But You have a way of putting me in my place. You have a way of showing me that it's not about me and it's all about You. Increase in my life and my way as I decrease. Cleanse me with Your baptismal water of grace. For only You can make me clean. Only You can heal me and recreate me into what You wish for me to be. I look to You as You hung on that cross and in a single moment removed sin from the world. You took it upon Yourself to save Your people. No, doubt, it's all about You. And I give You all the praise, honor and glory, now and forever. ---Amen

No comments: