Saturday, August 02, 2008

August 2nd - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Take a short run on your own.

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 1.1-2.4-...on him we have set our hope that he will rescue us again.
2 Kings 14-Good kings and bad kings come and go.
Micah 4.1-5.1-...but we will walk in the name of the LORD our God forever and ever.
Psalm 145.8-9, 14-21-The LORD upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down.

God's Word of the Day
Set your hope on me. I will give you what you need to run the race.

Story of the Day
There I was, at the starting blocks with the race ready to begin. It took a long time for me to get to this place. I recalled when I was afraid to even go out for the track team. I knew how slow I really was and didn't want the other kids to make fun of me. But I really wanted to do this. I wanted to be involved in activities even if my talent and skills weren't up to the best of the best. So I went out anyway for the track team. They really let anyone on the team, as long as you showed up for practice. And I practiced and ran and ran and ran. I never won a race in practice but I did enjoy running with the others. I enjoyed the fellowship of being together in a struggle to practice for competition.

It was next, that one of the best runners twisted their ankle and went down. I was called up into action. I knew that I would give my best but could never measure up to the other runner. In my mind this didn't matter. I would give my all. So here I was at the starting blocks of the relay. I had a short sprint to do. I had practiced. I was ready. So off I went, running the race. It was fun. No, I wasn't the fastest, but by far, I was the happiest to be called into action for those guys I had practiced and worked so hard for and with. Finally the pass of the baton to the next team member. What a joy to run the race! What a joy to be called! What a joy!

Prayer of the Day
Lord, I give You thanks for the preparation. You take the weak and make them strong. You take the slow and make them fast. You rebuild and use all that You have created into the glory You wish for it to take. I pause and give You thanks for those glorious people You surround me with. I give You thanks for their presence in my life. I want to walk in Your way. I want to run Your race. I want to give You the glory and honor and praise, side by side with those You have created. The fast and the slow will come and go, but I place all my hope and strength in You. Be with us this day as we strive to do Your will in Your Kingdom this day, today, now, tomorrow, and forever. ---Amen

No comments: