Sunday, December 14, 2008

December 12th - 14th - Let's Play!

Theme
Retreat

Readings
Philippians 1.1-2.11-Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death-- even death on a cross.
Ezekiel 18-20-Repent and turn from all your transgressions; otherwise iniquity will be your ruin. Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit!
Isaiah 47-49-From this time forward I make you hear new things, hidden things that you have not known.

God's Word
Die to self and live in Me.

Story
It was that time of year. It was the time to mate. It was a fearful, wonderful, dangerous yet decisive time of year for the males. The elder ruling male had to defend his pack. The young males had their opportunity to step up and lead the pack. Unusual noises could be heard only during this time of year. The males had mating calls and the females had mating moves. The air was charged with the excitement of sex. The young males were ready and burning with passion. The elder ruling male was prepared to defend his honor and his pack. Then one of the younger males stepped up to challenge the elder ruling male. Noises and grunts of defiance yet respect were heard on the plain that day. The younger male approaches and then engages in the battle. Back and forth the males struggle with each other. A struggle for domination and a struggle for the prize of the female pack and the ultimate prize of mating begins and continues until one male retreats in defeat. At times the struggle appears that it would lead to the death of one or both of the males. Then it occurs, the elder ruling male retreats and turns away. The elder male moves off to new and hidden things in life. The younger male moves into new and hidden things in life. At first it seemed as if this battle had a winner and a loser. But in reality, both sides have one. Both sides were privileged to turn away from one life and move into another life of hidden and new things. Both males this day have struggled. Both males this day have won the battle. Life moves on and the mystery of life continues for all.

Prayer
Lord, You show us how to give ourselves up. You gave Yourself up for each one of us. I must learn to give myself up, to turn from sin, to turn towards You and seek the new and hidden things only You have in store for my life. You are my Savior. You are my God. You are life, and in You I live and breathe. As I empty myself of selfish ambition; as I empty myself of sinful desire; as I empty myself of myself; fill me with Your way, Your presence, and Your very being, that I may live life for, and in You, today, tomorrow and forever.---Amen

No comments: