Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 24th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Rescue

Readings of the Day
Luke 1.57-80-The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the wilderness until the day he appeared publicly to Israel.
Ezekiel 35-36-A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
Isaiah 59-And as for me, this is my covenant with them, says the LORD: my spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouths of your children, or out of the mouths of your children's children, says the LORD, from no on and forever.
James 1.17-18-Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

God's Word of the Day
May the gift I give, fill you.

Story of the Day
I was so upset that night. The trip was a long and hard trip. All that walking and pausing. It took us forever. I felt bad for Mary, yet I was also angered. I know an angel had given me an explanation to all that was going on, but could I really understand all of this? When we finally arrived we found a place to stay that really wasn't that bad. At least we were in out of the elements. But the trip, the message, the whole idea of this thing upset me. Instead of being the Father of this child, I would be the Step-Father. But at some point I needed to get over this. So I accepted it all that night. Step-Dad I would be! And I would be the best one around! But as this child grew it all took a little twist. Sure, I cared for my son with all my heart. I fathered him like he was my own. I taught him a good trade and a good living. We worked that wood with such creative skill, day in and day out. But somehow as my son grew, it seemed as if he was growing on or maybe even in me. My heart that started out as a heart of stone was changing. It was as if as my son grew, instead of him changing and growing, I was the one changing and growing. I was teaching him and he was changing me. I was learning from him somehow. I was learning how to live and love and to care. I was learning that there was no way that I could have ever been this boy's Father. I was privileged to be his Step-Dad. That baby that night, sure would change everything for me. A son, a buddy, and yet a teacher to an old man. Come to find out that son of mine would be my Savior. That son of mine would turn my heart of stone into a heart of flesh and blood that cared and loved others. That son of mine sure figured out how to make something out of that wood we worked with in his youth. I was so upset that night...for what now, I don't know.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, take my heart of stone and change it into a loving heart of flesh. Take my anger and change it into peace. Take my life and change it. Invade me this night and take me into Your life, now and forever. ---Amen

No comments: