Tuesday, December 09, 2008

December 9th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Replace

Readings of the Day
Ephesians 5.1-20-Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil.
Ezekiel 14-15-...even if Noah, Daniel, and Job, these three, were in it, they would save only their own lives by their righteousness, says the Lord GOD.
Isaiah 44-Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.
Acts 11.1-18-Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life.

God's Word of the Day
You shall have no other gods.

Story of the Day
We thought we were getting ahead of the game. We decided to replace the car. The car was only three years old and was in good condition. It operated just as it did when it was new. It only had fifty thousand miles on it. Surely we would get a good value for a trade in. So we bought a new car. We thought we were getting ahead of the game. But in the first week of owning the new car, it broke down on the highway. There was a flaw in the electrical system. We had the car towed in and repaired under warranty. At least the repair was under warranty. Then after three weeks an electric window quit working. A motor had gone out and burned up during an ice storm. Since this damage wasn't due to a malfunction it wasn't covered under the warranty. We thought we were getting ahead of the game by replacing our car but rather it seemed we were in for trouble.

Prayer of the Day
Lord, sometimes I try to take control of my life and I think that I can solve all the problems that come my way by getting ahead of the game. Sometimes I replace You with myself. Forgive my sinfulness. Forgive my pride. Lead me to see that You alone are my Savior. You are the first and the last. You are the only God. As I live my life, show me how to use my time as Your gracious gift. Make my moments fruitful in Your work. Guide my steps this day so that Your Light brightly shines in me. ---Amen

No comments: