Thursday, May 12, 2005

May 12th Reflection

Thursday 5/12/2005

Acts 20.17-38 - Paul tells the Ephesians good bye- he probably won’t see them again - he has told them what God wanted him to tell them - now it is time they look after themselves. The Holy Spirit is with them

Judges 14-15 - Samson- an odd character- he decides he wants a Philistine for his wife- she looks good to him-- that’s it- that’s his only reason- God had his touch in that whole thing- so on the way- Samson finds a lion and kills it- before the bachelors party - Samson finds the carcass of the dead lion- there is some honey in it- he makes up this really goofy riddle for the guys to guess at- if they figure it out they get a shirt and some clothes- if not they give Samson clothes- all sounds pretty stupid to me- Samson’s bride tricks him into telling her the answer to the riddle and she tells the other guys- Samson figures his bride gave up the answer- so he goes off and kills thirty Philistines for their clothes and gives them to the guys-- then the brides father gives his daughter to one of the bachelors at the party- Samson goes away and comes back on a visit- he wants to have sex with his wife- I guess Samson thinks his bride is just waiting around for him to have sex- this is kinda weird if you ask me- anyway- Samson finds out she got married to someone else- so Samson gets mad and ties the tails of foxes together and lets them loose in wheat fields and burns up the crops of the Philistines- this all still sounds kinda stupid to me- like a little kid- you would think if he was married he would care a little more for his wife in the first place- but who am I to judge - the Philistines are mad at Samson so Samson goes to a cave- well the Israelites decide that they have to take Samson to the Philistines to keep a little peace and they do- they tie Samson up and haul him in- when he gets there he breaks free from the ropes and kills a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey- Samson all tired now prays to God for some water and God gives him water--So Samson the strong man is thirsty and depends on God to save him- even a strong man cannot save himself- all must depend on God to save -I don’t know- Samson sounds like a big baby to me- but God is using him anyway

Job 42 - Job knows his place- repents to God and waits- God tells Job’s friends to basically ask forgiveness from Job for being such assholes- they do and Job forgives his friends and prays for them- then God blesses Job with a new life and they all throw a big party - Job lived for another one hundred forty years!- and what about Job’s wife! -- she must have been one sex baby producing machine!- kinda just leave her out of this whole thing - I mean to begin with she had seven sons and three daughters- then later on Job says if he desires some other woman let strangers steal his wife- back in Chapter 31 -- well - God must have been taking care of her too though- cause no body else could do all that!

And perfect love and friendship reign throughout eternity - What is God like? - Love beyond understanding!

In all my thoughts, words, and deeds - I serve and please you- this is what I pray for this day.

Psalm 104.24-34, 35b - I wonder- is that it? - God sends forth his spirit- is it pneuma?- breath?- hmm- probably so since pneuma is Greek and ruah is Hebrew

Matthew 3 - One who is coming will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire- then Jesus came to be baptized by John- suddenly the heavens opened and the Spirit of God descended

Psalm 119.9-16 - Seek God with my whole heart - treasure God’s Word in my heart- fix my eyes on God’s way and don’t forget his Word

Prayer- Lord send your Holy Spirit- give me your breath of life- fill me and let that breath reach out into the world you send me to this day- I will treasure you and your saving grace in my heart always- Amen

No comments: