Wednesday, May 04, 2005

May 4th Reflection

Wednesday 5/4/2005

Acts 16.1-15 - It’s now like going on a road trip with Paul- Paul hooks up with Timothy- I think it’s strange that Paul has Timothy circumcised because of the Jewish people- it’s like he is backing down from one of the main principles that the Spirit gave him to preach- Then another odd part of this passage - but yet comforting is how the Spirit wouldn’t let the group go through certain areas- like God is protecting them or preserving them from persecution - odd yet comforting and makes me think of how I need to trust and be led.

Judges 2-3 - So the Israelites are a stubborn bunch - they won’t destroy the altars to false gods and even worship along with others these false gods instead of God- So God is upset with them- God doesn’t rescue them from outsiders when they attack -- then the Israelites realize their sin and turn to God and God would help them by giving them a Judge to lead them- then the Israelites would turn away from God again after a while- back and forth -- one Judge was Othniel-the son of Caleb’s younger brother- Othniel led Israel to victory in way and there was a time of peace-- then Ehud-(he was a good left handed guy!)- who went to take taxes to a fat king name Eglon-Eglon’s name suggests a pun for the word calf-which is funny- went to his private room - plunged a knife into him- the kings fat even covered the knife when Ehud plunged the knife into his big fat gut--so Ehud in effect sacrificed the fatted calf-that’s the funny/strange part of Eglon’s name- then Ehud snuck out a window or something- the kings servants waited and waited- figuring the king was taking a dump or something- the must have thought he fell in or something - they finally went into his private room and found king Eglon dead- all this time Ehud led the Israelites to victory over the Moabite warriors -- then there was Shamgar who rescued Israel in battle with a sharp wooden pole or maybe it was a cattle prod- killing six hundred Philistines.-- I like reading about the judges- interesting and weird all at once.

Job 34 - Elihu pretty much tells Job he is full of crap for thinking he is innocent- that Job rebelled against God and insulted his friends- talk about judging someone- who does Elihu think he is!?

I must be willing to stand in places I normally wouldn’t and proclaim Jesus death and resurrection. Jesus has fixed a day when he will return. Is that today? Is it now? Let Jesus return to my heart and soul forever-now-today-forever.

Receive the Holy Spirit and forgive others

Psalm 47 - All the world is to praise God!

1 Kings 3.4-15 - Ask for gifts from God that move outside - from within myself- to the good of God or others- don’t ask for gifts than only help myself - hmmm!

Psalm 72 - God focuses his love outward towards me and others- gives outward- from his inside out he gives his love.

Prayer- Jesus- you have a journey for me to take- you have sent me into your kingdom with a purpose- help me this day to fulfill your purpose - to go where you want me to go- to give myself to your world from my inside out- even if you want me to use my left hand to plunge that dagger into sin and do the bold things you call me to do - help me to see the sin I need to see and forgive my failings - bring me back to you that I may see your face and hear your voice and go where you would have me go- for you gave your life to me- from your heart you showed me your love- help me to do the same for my friends and others you give to me today. --- Amen

No comments: