Saturday, May 07, 2005

May 7th Reflection

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B><U><FONT size=2> <P>Saturday 5/7/2005</P></B></U> <P>Acts 17.16-34 - So Paul is poking around Athens and notices all the gods- the idols- how religious all the people are to so many different things- and he gets the chance to speak- Paul is clever- he had noticed a bunch of people arguing - philosophical stuff- so when his chance to speak comes he jumps in- he noticed an altar with an inscription -- “To and Unknown God”-- he takes this opportunity to describe God the creator- leaves out all the Jewish history stuff- reminds me kind of like the Apostles Creed- talks about how God is provider- not something we make but a real God- how God forgives- how God saves- how God will come to judge - how God came in Jesus and raised him from the dead-- only a few came to believe- most ran Paul off after the resurrection statement- most laughed at him -- but the seed was planted -- even those who are wise will hear the Word through a child-- I hear the Word through a child- a child born in Bethlehem who saved the world and sent the Spirit to encourage me- to make me bold- and to lead and guide me.</P> <P>Judges 7-8 - This is a neat story - I always liked it because Dad explained the lapping water part to me one time years ago- I was young -that’s all I remember-- anyway - Gideon is to take the Israelites into battle with the Midianites- but God thinks they have way too many - so he tells Gideon to cut his troops down- with too many troops the Israelites may think that they won the battle and not God- So Gideon let anyone who was afraid go home-- then that still wasn’t enough - so he took the troops to a stream and watched how the drank water- some like dogs - others scooped and drank from their hands- he took the ones that drank from their hands- down to three hundred now- that night God told Gideon to get up and attack- but if Gideon was still afraid he and Puah could sneak into the Midianite camp and listen and then they won’t be afraid-- you ever notice how Gideon is always double checking God? -- like the dew and the wool thing- Gideon and Puah listen in and hear how a Midianite had a dream that they would be defeated - so now Gideon isn’t afraid-- I’m like Gideon sometimes- maybe most of the time- not real sure- want to test God- then I’m ok after a while- hopefully my faith grows just like Gideons- so the three hundred circle the Midianite camp - with torches - clay jars and trumpets- the soldiers blew their trumpets-smashed the clay jars that were hiding their torches-- then the rest of them soldiers blew their trumpets -smashed their jars and held the torches- the army was divided into three groups- then they all shouted- Fight with your swords for the LORD and for Gideon! -- the Midianites started yelling and tried to run away but they were trapped- so they started fighting each other in a panic- they tried to escape to a couple of towns- Gideon sent word for more soldiers to come and help finish the Midianites off and they got the help they needed- some men from Ephraim brought a couple Midianite leaders to Gideon- they were upset the Gideon didn’t ask them to help with the battle- but Gideion explained that it’s ok- even though their help came later that was God’s intention-- everyone has a place in God’s plan- maybe not the place I think I should have- but a place- let God use me as he plans- not as I plan-- So Gideon keeps the chase on- they army stops at a town and asks for food- but the people there doubt that Gideon will capture the enemy leaders and doesn’t feed them- Gideon promises to come back to that town after the battle and get even- Gideon did get even- Gideon commanded his oldest son Jether to kill the enemy leaders Zebah and Zalmunna -- they were captured now- but the son was afraid--Zebah and Zalmunna challenged Gideon and called him a coward for not doing it himself- so Gideon killed them -- all this is a little ironic- Gideon has been the one afraid all along to do what God tells him to do- Gideon commands his son to do something and Jether is afraid- just like his dad- then Gideon has to do it himself- it seems Gideon finally has overcome fear-- kinda like God had to do it himself- what if Gideon had not been afraid in the first place? - the Israelites wanted to make Gideon king - but he refused- instead he collected all the gold they had recovered in battle- melted it down into a statue and the Israelites started to worship it- here we go again- back and forth- no wonder God gets so mad!</P> <P>Job 37 - Elihu talks about the power of God- yea he is powerful! - I agree- but then Elihu seems to be a smart ass with Job- asks Job if he can explain it-well- I don’t remember Job ever claiming that God wasn’t powerful - I think Job needs to pick some better friends- these guys are jerks!</P> <P>I must be willing to stand in places I normally wouldn’t and proclaim Jesus death and resurrection. Jesus has fixed a day when he will return. Is that today? Is it now? Let Jesus return to my heart and soul forever-now-today-forever.</P> <P>I need to examine myself - every day- have I hurt anyone by word or deed- how about the Ten Commandments-- then confess - and ask for forgiveness</P> <P>1 Peter 4.12-14, 5.6-11 - Suffer for Christ- be humble- don’t be anxious- give that to God- God cares for me - resist the devil- God will protect me and give me life</P> <P>Joshua 3.1-17 - Follow God’s lead through the waters- see how magnificent God is!</P> <P>Psalm 114 - God is powerful, mighty and awesome</P> <P>Prayer- Lord- you come to me each day - placing me where you want me- if I need words - you give them to me- I will go wherever you place me today - make your words sure in me- forgive me for those I have hurt - when I let my words and not your words- as the battle rages- help me to resist the devil and all the tricks he places before me- keep me from falling into the traps set of hate and false judgment- lead and guide me in your holiness and faithfulness today -- it’s Saturday - time to play - send me into your playground with friends to joyfully proclaim you saving grace to all people we meet this day. --- amen</P></FONT></FONT></DIV>

No comments: