Thursday, May 19, 2005

May 19th Reflection

Thursday 5/19/2005

Acts 26.1-18 - Paul finally gets to speak before King Agrippa- he tells the story of his life- how he was a Pharisee- how he was against the Christians and persecuted them - and then how Jesus called him with a flash of light and his voice and vision - that he was to open the eyes of the Jews and Gentiles so they would turn from darkness to light - their sins would be forgiven and they would have faith in Jesus

Ruth 3-4 - Now Naomi tells Ruth to go to Boaz in the fields at night and sleep there at his feet-- they would sleep in the fields at the harvest and protect the grain - there are implications that this was a sexual situation but Boaz didn’t recognize that Ruth was with him until he woke later- then he explained to Ruth that he couldn’t be the goel until he went first to the closest next of kin-- so Boaz sent Ruth home with food for Naomi until he settled the matter- a marriage is in the brewing here- Boaz meets the next of kin-unnamed- in the market place- he had to buy the land that Naomi had rights to - he agreed to do this- but he was told that he also had to take Ruth as his wife- he didn’t want this- so Boaz bought the land and took Ruth as his wife- just like Boaz really wanted-so Naomi was taken care of and Ruth also -- and from Boaz and Ruth they had a child and named him Obed who was the grandfather of David -- Just as Boaz saves ruth and Naomi - Jesus purchased me - or my field- he paid the price for my salvation - and then there is that relationship - that marriage - that life long relationship I have with Jesus-- Jesus is all over this story and this book.

Psalm 48 - Our God, here in your temple we think abour your love- you are famous and praised everywhere

The Holy Spirit brings speech to ordinary people. Go! Tell about Jesus saving grace.

Help your neighbor and don’t steal

Psalm 8 - How majestic is your name God!

2 Corinthian 3.7-18 - When Moses came back with the commandments he put a veil over his face to lessen the light of God shining- now we can remove that veil because of Jesus- see God’s glory in Jesus and be transformed into his likeness

Psalm 53 - Seek understanding of God

Prayer- Jesus you call me every day - you lead me with your light- keep me in your light- let your light shine through me into your Kingdom - thank you for redeeming me- thank you for the field you have bought for me to live - to work - to play in - thank you for letting me work in your field - in your kingdom - thank you for the joy of salvation- as I can now see you face to face - I give you thanks for coming to me in the ways that you choose to come to me. --- Amen

No comments: