Friday, May 13, 2005

May 13th Reflection

Friday 5/13/2005

Acts 21.1-36 - Paul continues to travel - to Cos-Rhodes-Patara-Phoenicia-Cyprus-Tyre -they stayed with Jesus followers - The Holy Spirit told the people to warn Paul not to go on to Jerusalem-- but Paul was determined to go- they knelt on the beach and prayed -- then on to Ptolemais- for a short visit- to Caesarea where they stayed with Philip- Philip had four unmarried daughters who prophesied- here Agabus took Paul’s belt and tied up how own hands and feet- The Holy Spirit says some Jewish leaders will tie up the man that owns this belt and hand him over to the Gentiles- they begged Paul not to go to Jerusalem- but Paul told them he was willing to be put in jail for Jesus- even willing to die for him in Jerusalem- so Paul arrives in Jerusalem- Paul visits james and tells about how God is active with the Gentiles-but the Jewish Christians still take opposition to the treatment of Gentiles in regard to Jewish laws and circumcision- this whole controversy is brewing underneath it all- then the Jewish people got so mad with Paul - thinking that he brought a Gentile into the temple- that they ganged up and started beating him- finally a Roman army commander broke it up and arrested Paul-- so much of this reminds me of Jesus journey into Jerusalem - I’m not sure why Paul went if the Holy Sprit was against it- unless all that meant was that the Holy Spirit wanted to warn Paul of what was going to happen- if that is the case - Paul has great faith

Judges 16 - So Samson is in Gaza - spends the night with a prostitute- the people who lived in Gaza decided to kill Samson at sunrise- they went to the city gait to wait- Samson got up in the middle of the night and went to the gate and pulled the gate doors and doorposts out of the wall and carried them off--I still don’t know about this guy- prostitute and all- I guess God uses all sorts- so Samson meets Delilah- she decides she will take a bribe from the Philistines and tries to trick Samson into telling the secret of his strength - after several failed attempts - Delilah started nagging and pestering him day after day, until he couldn’t stand it any longer- Samson tells Delilah the truth- Samson’s eyes were poked out and he was made to turn a millstone- then his hair began to grow again- Samson was taken to the temple of Dagon- where the Philistines made fun of him- Samson felt a couple of columns- his strength had returned and he pushed the columns causing the temple to collapse killing all-- Samson was buried with his people-- I don’t know- Samson was certainly a different kind of leader--but Samson did hold true- his power comes from God- just as he claimed

Psalm 42 - As a deer gets thirsty for streams of water- I am thirsty for God- In my heart I am thirsty- When will I see your face?- I trust you! - you are my God!

And perfect love and friendship reign throughout eternity - What is God like? - Love beyond understanding!

Fear, love and trust God above everything

Acts 2.1-21 - They were all together in one place-- they and one- seems symbolic- one body of people in God- a rush of wind- they were filled with the Holy Spirit- reminds me of them bones coming to life in the OT- they could all understand each other- the message was clear- some thought they were drunk- but it was only nine in the morning - prophecy-visions-dreams- everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved-- God gave it all to us- in the Spirit- in the flesh of Jesus- a gift of life

Jeremiah 3.11-25 - Repent and return to God- God will take care of me

Psalm 25.1-15 - Trust in God- Teach me Lord- Forgive me- Lead me- Teach me

Prayer- Lord you lead and guide - you warn me of danger- you show me the path I am to take- be with me when I am in danger- be with me in joy- in sadness- in pain and sorrow- you are always present- but how I long to see your face - how I long to touch you - it will happen- you have promised to return and I will wait in joyful anticipation for that day- but for now fill me with your Spirit- put your fire of passion within me and send me into your Kingdom- that Kingdom here and now- for you have already given eternal life and I am living it- thanks for the joyful opportunity to work in your Kingdom. -- Amen

No comments: