Sunday, May 08, 2005

May 8th Reflection

Sunday 5/8/2005

Acts 18 - Paul in Corinth- I find it interesting that through the week he works his trade of tent making- then preaches when he can and on the weekends. Some to the friends here are dispersed Jews - run out by Romans or Jews -- so here they take it up again -and this time succeed in a Roman city. Yea- the Jews have problems with this Christian thinking- and the Romans step away - this is a religious problem not a governmental problem- So Christianity spreads here - but mostly with the Gentiles- I like how these people work in moving groups amongst themselves-it’s not always the same people in the group- the members of group in ministry change often and easily-- is it because there vision and mission is so clear- so much here and now- so much a part of their lives- the number one priority - they know they are to spread the Gospel- baptize- tell Jesus story - that’s the whole thing in life- the number one thing-- do we do that today? - do I have that sense of urgency? - why not? - Jesus could return in five minutes- what would I be doing? - what would anyone at Zion be doing? - would we be traveling to different towns trying to tell the story and baptizing people? - or would I be waiting for someone to find which door to walk into Zion so I can greet them and ask them to come again? - huh?-when I read how the early church acted and then think about how the church is today- it’s like we’re a McDonalds and wait for customers-- I don’t think Paul was waiting for McDonalds- we was offering Big Macs to the world for free with free delivery!- yea - I can rationalize it all- I can say - well we have missionaries - we have in the ELCA people who do this across the world-- ok -- but every week do we in our own little world even bring it up to people we meet?-- I don’t nearly as much as I could-so it all just makes me think- it humbles me- it irritates me- but it also causes me to ask forgiveness- I need to open up -tell that story and let people decide for themselves-- I could give a hoot if they come to Zion -- do they believe?- do they trust God? - will they join in a journey of faith with God? -- wherever they go-- maybe they should go to Burger King!

Judges 9 - Gideon didn’t want to be king - but his son Abimelech did- so Abimelech weasles his way in as king of some of the Israelites- God isn’t behind all this either- Jotham yells some poem about trees and kings- basic message- God ain’t behind this king-- then he runs off to Beer-- Beer means “well” -- hmm! -- I guess he ran off and got drunk! - at Beer he could be safe from his brother the self proclaimed King Abimelech - Well Abimelech goes off the battle- and a woman throws a stone on his head and kills him- Abimelech is such an ass - he gets one of his soldiers to run their sword through him so that it can’t be said that he was killed by a woman-- kinda funny- when I die - I’m not sure I’m gonna give a damn how I died- but I figure it will be the result of a woman somehow or another anyway.-Abimelech isn’t punished for being king- but for killing his brothers-- God is in control - God is King!- I need to be humble and not assume leadership - not assume kingship - but serve how God wants me to serve- serve where God wants me to serve-God is God!

Job 38 - God talks to Job out of a storm- I like to think of all the ways God talks to us-- a storm- cool!- all these creation questions - I love to think about that stuff! - Where is the home of light? - Where does darkness live? - I can see God all over the place! - Miracles everywhere- just look around - God is all over- everywhere - this is so cool! - makes me want to take a walk- right now! -- see God and praise him!

I must be willing to stand in places I normally wouldn’t and proclaim Jesus death and resurrection. Jesus has fixed a day when he will return. Is that today? Is it now? Let Jesus return to my heart and soul forever-now-today-forever.

I a poor sinner confess before God that I am guilty of many sins. I repent of all these sins and pray for mercy. I promise to do better with God’s help.

John 17.1-11- Eternal life- that THEY may know you- Jesus in timeless- he existed before the world existed- God saved me before I even knew it- do I believe? - You betch ya!- All I have is from God- Jesus is praying for his church -- all of us- his children- all people- not just me- not just you- all of us- We have a big job to do in response to Jesus great love- I’m pumped up about it!

John 3.14-21 - Whoever believes in Jesus will have eternal life

Psalm 57 - take refuge in God - he will protect you

Prayer- Jesus- you are so near- yet you are gone too - some day you will return - I want to be doing your work when you return - lead and guide me this day to serve in your kingdom - to love the people you give to me- to pray for theme- to offer healing touches and healing words that come from you- you walked this earth -and you will come again- what a great time that will be- what a party that will be- the one and only King will come and you will rule a world I can’t even begin to understand- as I walk and look around I see God present everywhere- in all of creation- a constant supply of miracles- in worship today - speak to me - speak through me and help me to recognize your word in the words of others- in the faces of others- and in all the praise and worship we offer- for it’s all about you - you are God and greatly to be praised. -- Amen

No comments: