Friday, May 06, 2005

May 6th Reflection

Friday 5/6/2005

Acts 17.1-15 - there is always a trip to the temple in the area- and the people let Paul and Silas speak- sometimes for weeks-- it must have been loose - I think of someone just showing up at church - would we just let them speak of their ideas for weeks? - it also tells me how the Spirit is active in the whole thing- so the spreading of the gospel depends on the Spirit- I must be willing to say the words God chooses for me.

Judges 6 - So there is peace for a little while- then the Israelites turn away again - back and forth- things go bad and they once again beg God to help defeat the Midianites-- God chooses Gideon- Gideon doesn’t understand why him-- He tests the angel with some meat and bread on a rock- the angel touches it and it burns up- so just like that God gave Gideon the gifts he needed to lead the Israelites - and they are about to battle- but Gideon tears down Baal’s altar and the sacred pole at night and built an altar to God next to it. The next morning the people discovered what had happened - the people wanted to kill Gideon - then the Lord’s Spirit took control of Gideon- he was going to lead Israel into battle-but a test again to make sure- some wool on a stone floor- first night dew on top of wool - second night dew on the floor- that’s how it was- Gideon is convinced this is God and is ready for battle. -- How often I test God - don’t I trust him? -- I think it’s more- I don’t trust myself when I do this- I want to make sure that the message isn’t something I made up and is really God’s -- other times- especially messages from Scripture- I know - it is from God with that humbling and washed over feeling- I guess it’s different for everyone.

Job 36 - Elihu speaks on - but sometimes as I’m reading all this - I think - who are these guys to be telling me how God will act in this or that situation- how will God act when I’m good or how will God act when I’m bad- who are these guys to know- God is God- he will act however he chooses to act- I don’t think he follows some rules we put out- or some expectations we have that he must act and respond in such and such a way -- I just must trust and love God even if he gets mad at me - or is happy with me- I have to love God just the same - God is God -- who does these guys think they are telling Job how God will act or even think about some situation?

I must be willing to stand in places I normally wouldn’t and proclaim Jesus death and resurrection. Jesus has fixed a day when he will return. Is that today? Is it now? Let Jesus return to my heart and soul forever-now-today-forever.

Confess my sins that I even don’t know of - but especially confess those I know of.

Acts 1.6-14 - Don’t worry about when God will do what- receive the power of the Spirit and witness - witness until Jesus comes again in glory!

Job 3.1-17 - Job is down on himself- why does he exist? - but he cries out to God!

Psalm 30 - God will save and heal- when we cry for help - give thanks to god forever

Prayer- Jesus - you send me from place to place but you are always with me- you give me the words I need to say - the way I need to act- you prove your presence to me in so many ways- in nature you display your miracle of life and creation - I just look a little and there it is- right in front of my eyes- you are right there to -be with me today - in your kingdom with me as I proclaim the proof of you in my life- not just some story but my story of your activity in my life- not just some thought up thing of how I think you should act - but how you have actually acted in my life- thanks for your presence. --- amen

No comments: