Thursday, June 19, 2008

June 19th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Unite in love and understanding with one another.

Readings of the Day
Mark 4.21-41-The Kingdom grows and is not hidden. Jesus walks beside you in the Kingdom calming the storms.
2 Samuel 11-12-The evils of the sin of adultery are widespread. Repent and seek forgiveness from God.
Daniel 6-Keep your loyalty to God, even through peer pressure and persecution. God saves you and nothing or no one else.
Hebrews 2.5-9-God made Jesus like us and he tasted death for all of us.

Theme of the Day
I have come down to be like you. To take on your sin and save you. I tasted death for you and have graciously forgiven and saved you from sin. Now rise up and serve Me in My Kingdom.

Story of the Day
As I pulled into the driveway that day, I knew that it had been a rough day. I knew that I had failed in many ways. I knew that I had left God at the doorstep of my house that morning after prayer and devotions. I knew that I had failed. I had failed God and I had failed my wife and family. Now what? Now what was next. I felt as if I were in a continual spiral downward. A spiral of death. And I was. I needed to unite once again with God, with my wife, with my family and with those God had given to me in this walk of life. I needed help.

The gardener had prepared the soil for his garden in the spring of that year. He had planted the seeds and was ready for the beginnings of some fruit. But now the waiting. And some rain fell down from above. The gardener had plenty to do with the preparation of the soil and the planting. He had used the gifts he was given and applied some work. He used seed, and fertilizer, he used tools to prepare and plant. But he had nothing to do with the rain. It fell from above. He had nothing to do with the sun and even the shade. It came from above. It came from above and brought growth. Soon there was fruit. But the gardener neglected his garden. Soon weeds and insects had invaded and spoiled some of the fruit. These came from below and inside the earth.

The gardener knew it was his neglect. So he recognized his failings and went to work on the weeds and the insects. It was work twice as hard. There finally was good fruit, not because of the work, but because the gardener recognized his sin and turned back to the one who comes down from above with water and light and the core of the production of fruit. Here is the One who produces the good fruit.

Prayer of the Day
Lord let me smell the stench of my sins. Let me recognize my need to repent. Forgive me Lord and save me from my sinful self. For You alone produce the fruit. Produce good fruit in me this day as we walk together in Your Kingdom. ---Amen

No comments: