Sunday, June 01, 2008

June 1st-My Daily Walk with Jesus in His Kingdom

It's time to change formats again. Every June, I like to change the format of my Daily Devotions and offer some explanation to what in the world I'm doing here.
---
If you follow the readings day by day. In one year you will have read through the entire Bible.
---
The first three readings of each devotional accomplish this.
The third scripture passage listed, follows the theme of the church year in some way. So not only do you read through the Bible in one year---you also do a little more!
---
Next you will see a statement that I seem to hear God speaking to me. It's a statement that seems to be from God.
---
Finally, I always close with a prayer.
---
Over the years I have used various formats. The first was just my reflections on the scripture passages. Then I used phrases that I seemed to hear God speaking through people, I have used pictures and visions from God. Last year I spent the year reflecting on hymns of the church and writing psalms.


This year I have decided to reflect on my daily walk in God's Kingdom. I will state what appeared to me to be "theme of the day" in my walk in His Kingdom. After each passage reading, I will reflect on the theme of that passage that is speaking to me. Then I will write a short story on those themes using imagination and visions of what I feel God wishes for me to take on His Word and my daily walk in His Kingdom. Don't be surprised if some days I express the theme in pictures and other days in words or whatever method I choose to express the theme. We'll see how it goes and may change along the way as I hear God calling me to change.


So why this Kingdom walk stuff? Why choose this? I must tell you a story of my early life that has impacted my walk with God throughout my life.

When I was 5 or 6 years old, I'm not sure the age, but I know I was still in Sidney Ohio when this occurred, I had a dream. I had a dream that Jesus came to the front door. I answered the door. There stood Jesus with Moses and another person that I haven't been able to identify clearly. Jesus at the door, reminded me of that picture of Jesus knocking at the door that is so common. Now, to my surprise, instead of Jesus wanting me to invite him in, Jesus asked if Billy could come out and play. As I grew older and kept pondering this strange dream, I came to realize that Jesus wants me to walk with Him in His Kingdom day after day. I came to realize that this was my calling from God to go out into His Kingdom each day and play with Jesus. I came to realize the richness of play and learning and stumbling and falling and being picked up and playing as a team with Jesus and His friends in His Kingdom day after day. I came to realize that Jesus wants Billy just as Billy is and will use me each and every day in His Kingdom. I came to realize the presence of Jesus at my door each and every morning through good times and bad, when I feel good and when I'm sick, when I'm mean and when I'm friendly, I can look by my side and there is Jesus, my Friend with me all along the way. I now know of a daily calling. Not a vocational calling. Not a calling that is necessarily specific in nature, but a daily calling to live out life with God in the lead. A calling to situations that present themselves daily with God at my side. A calling that works through and sometimes in my victories, my failings, my sinfulness, my repentance, my health, my wealth, my illness and whatever seems to be present each day. A daily calling to play in the Kingdom of God as God chooses fit to use me. It has been a joy to live out this calling with Jesus and His friends. It has been an honor to call Jesus my Friend and for Jesus to invite me out to play, and for Jesus to come knocking at my door daily throughout my life.


So this year, I have chosen to play along with Jesus. Play in stories from His Word. Play each day in the themes of life and love that God chooses to reveal to me each day in His Kingdom.
---

So we'll see how it goes. You'll have to look over the typos and grammar errors. My purpose is not to be a professional writer in any way. My purpose is only to reflect on what God is calling me to reflect on throughout life and to listen to Him and learn from Him and be fed in all fullness from Him. All in all, I offer my time and worship and prayer to God in my devotional. You are welcome to come along for the ride. I know you will hear the voice of God somewhere along the way, as I always have.
---
Through the Blog site, feel free to make any comments or observations you would like to share.

---
Additionally, I maintain an e-mail distribution list. If you or someone you know would like to be added to distribution, send me an e-mail requesting such.
My e-mail is:
kc8isn@sbcglobal.net

Bill
--------------

"Can Billy come out to play?"

Theme of the Day-The collection of material goods will not bring happiness. It is in the relationships developed where the happiness resides.

Readings of the Day-
Romans 7-You know of your sin. Christ died so that you would belong to him. Now die to yourself and bear fruit for God.
1 Samuel 16-God looks on the heart of the person, not on the riches or appearance. God calls and anoints you heart to heart in a lifelong relationship of love.
Psalm 61-God is my strength and refuge. God leads me up to that rock of strength and shows me the way.
Matthew 7.21-29-Build relationship on the solid foundation of Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior. Hear His word and act on it.

God's Word of the Day
I AM the solid rock and foundation on which to build all your relationships in life. I gave my life for you and love you. Now in this relationship of ours go out into My Kingdom and give your life, give your love in relationship to those I give to you this day.

Story of the Day
I heard a knock at the door and got up from a wonderful night of sleep to answer the door. As I opened the door, I was greeted by a friendly face that I thought I knew but wasn't real sure. This stranger said, "Can Billy come out to play?" I was at first apprehensive, but something inside me told me that this would be one friendship that would surpass all friendships. So I happily replied, "Sure, let's go!" As I stepped outside, dressed in play clothes I had hurriedly put on, I noticed my new friend was with two other friends, one I knew from school and the other person, I had never seen before.

So, out we go together, all four of us to the creek nearby the house. Even though I didn't know any names, I felt the one boy was the leader, the one to follow. The other two were somewhat like me. I suspect the leader has been to their house at some time or another too. One of the other kids seemed to be well know and the second kid seemed to be just like me, not knowing what was going on. So we all followed the leader to the creek. At the creek the leader told us how important it was to have friendships in life. He told us why it was more important to live out our lives caring, and playing and making friends that it was to try and gather toys and bikes and games to play.

I always thought that the more toys you had the more friends you would make to play with those toys. But this "leader" friend explained that it was in the friendship and the playing together that real friends would be made. He said that it was real friends that would be there when we played together and someone got hurt and picked the other one up. He told me that really all we would do with the toys was fight over who gets to play with what. He told me that it was much more important to go outside, to the creeks and the playgrounds and the woods and use our imaginations and play with one another than it was to stay in the house and play with our toys.

So all that day we walked the creek, ran through the woods, played on the swing sets. If someone tripped along the way we would all help each other out. We picked each other up and stayed together as friends, following the leader all the way.

The three of us began to realize that there was something special about this "leader" friend. He didn't have to lead us, but he did because he wanted to. So we followed and had a good time. We gave up the day with our toys to follow this "leader" friend. And we found out that giving up time inside with our toys wasn't nearly as fun as going outside with this "leader" friend and learning to be friends with him and each other.

At the end of the day, I was tired, but so excited to have new friendships that I couldn't wait for another day of running and playing outside with my new friends.

Prayer of the Day

Lord, teach me this day to follow Your lead, to build friendships and relationships. Teach me to leave those toys behind and give them away in love. Teach me to cherish my time with those you give to me and to show them Your face of Love. ---Amen




No comments: