Sunday, February 22, 2009

February 21st-22nd - Let's Play!

Theme
Rest

Readings
Leviticus 11:1-13:59-...you shall be holy, for I am holy.
Mark 5:21-6:29-The child is not dead but sleeping.
Psalm 38:1-39:13-But it is for you, O LORD, that I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
Proverbs 10:8-10-Whoever walks in integrity walks securely...

God's Word
You can only become holy through me. I make you holy. You can never make yourself holy.

Story
I had fallen into a deep sleep. A sleep so deep that I thought I was dead. I couldn't move about. My body and mind must have requested some deep sleep. Then, as I slept, I began to dream. There was a knock at the door. As I approached the door to answer, I knew that I was about to come out of my sleep. I was about to come out of the sleep and be called to action. My sleep was a waiting period. My sleeping was a time of rest by green pastures. My sleep had restored my soul. My sleep had come on, not of my own doing, but of the doing of the one who was about to be standing at the door. My sleep was a preparation for the walk through the shadow of death. My sleep was the restoration I would need for the battle. Then I slowly opened the door. An invitation came from the one at the door. "Can Billy come out to play?"

How I needed that sleep. How I needed that wait, brief as it was. How I needed that restoration. For I was about to step out into a story. I was about to become part of a story I couldn't even fathom. The calling wasn't because of my worthiness. I was called in my sin. I was called in the midst of my filth and stench. I was called as what I really was. I was called and loved to come out to play. I was loved by this one at the door. I was loved by his companions. I was called to join in the discipleship of friends that day.

My response...my response this day and all days future..."Here, I am Lord. Take me!"

I left the house that day with my friend Jesus and his friend Moses and one other. One other of whom I would join beside. We would go that day, called as we were. We would go and make disciples of Jesus, door to door, one disciple at a time. Door to door, building one great cloud of witnesses. Walking through the valley of the shadow of death. Walking together in the Light of Christ.

I had fallen into a deep sleep. I had been called. I was called to action into a story that is still unfolding. A story beyond all imagination.

Prayer
Let's play! ---Amen

No comments: