Thursday, February 26, 2009

February 26th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Meet

Readings of the Day
Leviticus 19:1-20:21-Keep my statutes, and observe them; I am the LORD; I sanctify you.
Mark 8:11-38-For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.
Psalm 42:1-11-As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
Proverbs 10:17-Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life...
1 John 1:3-10-If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

God's Word of the Day
I know your love and desire for Me. I desire and love you too! Love beyond what you can understand.

Story of the Day
The pain was so intense that sweat was coming down my face. The emergency room staff couldn't get to me fast enough as far as I was concerned. The only thoughts running through my mind was for God to help me in this. God help me with this pain! But the pain continued. God helped me in the pain by being with me in the pain, not by taking the pain away. Then the doctor visited and knew the reoccurring problem. Some pain medication was brought in and put into my IV. This gave relief from the pain to the point that I could begin to relax. Sure, the pain was still there, but I could begin to relax and put up with it. Why me? Why me, I wondered?

Why not? Man, you are dust and to dust you shall return. Why not me? I have brought sin into this world and my life. I can't deny that! So why not me? But God didn't send the pain on me. God wants me to be happy and joyful and perfect in Him. Why do I do the things I do? Did sin cause this pain. I think maybe, or even maybe not. Sinful mankind brought destruction into the world. Through sin, we all try to take control of our lives and take control of God's creation and make it into what we selfishly desire. Through sin we turn from God's desire and make our own desire our idol. In God's desire to live in love with His creation, we pull away from Him and take to ourselves. So sin and pain and illness are not results of God's desire, but of our failed desire to render all creation our own for our own selfish reasons. So why does this pain and illness have to come to me? Why not someone else? I guess mankind really doesn't have as much control over it all as we think we do. I guess we all are subject to the results of our sin in total. So why not me?

Then, as I lay in the hospital bed, I begin to realize that even in my sin, even in my illness, even in my pain, Jesus came before me and lived the human life. Jesus came to suffer the sin for me. He came to redeem me from my sin with a love so deep and so wide that it overcame death. Jesus gave his life for me and walked through hell for me so that I could live forever with Him in heaven. Wow!

So why not me? I'm so happy to live this life with Jesus coming to my door day after day, inviting me out to play. Out to play to walk by His side. Out to play to follow His lead. Out to play to run and jump and love my neighbor. Out to play to learn and live daily in His Kingdom, in His way. I'm so happy to give my life away, even if I live in pain, even if illness abounds, I know of a joy, in a Savior, by my side, that will quench that longing thirst for fresh flowing water by the stream of life. Thanks be to God, he chose me!

Prayer of the Day
Lord forgive me. Forgive me for being selfish in my pain and suffering. Forgive me for being too proud to acknowledge Your presence in the pain of life. Forgive me for neglecting Your presence in the joys and blessings of life. I focus on You and gladly answer that door, because Billy knows it's way better to come out and play, day after day, with You in Your Kingdom. I give my life to You, today, tomorrow, forever. ---Amen

No comments: