Friday, February 06, 2009

February 6th - Let's Play!

Theme of the Day
Celebration of life


Readings of the Day
Exodus 23:14-25:40-Then you shall make a mercy seat of pure gold...There I will meet with you...
Matthew 24:29-51-And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Psalm 30:1-12-Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
Proverbs 7:24-27-And now, my children, listen to me, and be attentive to the words of my mouth.
Job 36:1-23-See, God is exalted in his power...


God's Word of the Day
Witness My mercy seat and listen.


Story of the Day

You know, it seems to me that I remember a story about a relative, oh, it must have been hundreds of years ago that made a thing called a mercy seat too. He covered the lid of the box of the ark of the covenant with pure gold. I mean, this was a very high honor and service in the temple of God! This was no small deal whatsoever. Then he hammered out two winged creatures of pure gold and fastened them to the lid of the chest. These creatures were to face each other and the wings would spread over the chest. It was said that this was the place that God would judge his people with mercy. God would meet his people at this place. This place of the wings was called the mercy seat. Inside the ark were the two stone tablets with the Ten Commandments on them. Over time my people messed it all up and the ark was lost. I wonder if my ancestor's work is located somewhere? Oh well, I need to get back to my work.

So here I am now preparing the wood for the sedile. The sedile is a little platform that a guy they are going to kill for claiming he is a king, to sit and take a break. I guess while he is dying on the cross, he can sit for a minute and look out over the crowd. Since he thinks he's a king or something, my sedile, just might be his only throne here on earth. You, know, some people call this sedile a mercy seat too. It gives the guy dying a little mercy in his pain and suffering. It could be where he meets with the people of his kingdom too.

Makes me wonder if my mercy seat has anything to do with the mercy seat of the ark. God is King after all. This guy claims to be a king. But why would he let himself die on a throne like mine? My ancestor's mercy seat was for a loving God. If this guy named Jesus really is God, I guess this may be a mercy seat too! If my ancestor's God had judged my life, I would deserve the cross, after all I've done. Maybe if this guy says he's God, he just might be taking my place and taking on the world's sin from a new kind of mercy seat? But that's pretty far beyond what I can think about. It still makes me wonder, if maybe this guy called Jesus really is God. I guess I'll see here soon...

Prayer of the Day

I give You thanks, Lord, for the mercy seat. I give You eternal thanks! I give You thanks...Amen

No comments: