Sunday, August 13, 2006

August 13th Daily Word and Visions from God

John 1.1-18-We saw the glory with our own eyes, the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son, generous inside and out, true from start to finish.
1 Chronicles 5-6-As they carried out their work, they followed the instructions given to them.
Zephaniah 2-So get yourselves together. Shape up!
John 6.35, 41-51-No one who comes to me will ever be hungry.
---
At the Ohio State Fair, I saw a pig race. I've seen this before and, to me, it's always fun and funny to watch. The pigs, who I would expect to be fat and slow, run a small course to the finish line. Well, they are in fact fat, but they really aren't all that slow. I suspect there is some food at the end of this journey. Maybe for fun the handlers feed one, and that pig isn't quite as anxious to get to the feed at the end. But the pigs race to the end of the track and run into a shoot leading back into a trailer. When I reflect on my life of faith, I tend to think of my relationship with God here. I run the race. But I run the race with a different purpose in mind. I run the race because God wants me to run the race. I run the race of this life not to feed my own hunger. But I run the race to please God. I see the goal of life eternal with God in glory. I run the race with the instructions given to me by God. I have to pay attention to what those instructions are. I run the race having faith that God will direct me around the bends he wants me to take. I run the race with the faith that God will supply all my needs. I don't run the race in expectation of reaching the "feed" for myself at the end of the race. Another Pig ahead of me has already done this. So I don't have to concern myself with being fed. I WILL be fed. That other Pig who runs the race ahead of me has already taken care of this. So I run the race knowing that the "feed" is there, now, and in the finality of the race. As long as I come to that other Pig, I will never go hungry. I run the race and pull myself together to be strong for the one directing me in the race. I run the race with joy because the end, the prize, has already been secured for me, no matter what place I come in. I run the race in joy to please the one who placed me in the race to begin with. I run the race however God chooses for me to run the race. And in this is all the victory I will ever need. I win no matter want, thanks be to that other Pig with me who has already taken the prize and freely gives it to me.
---
Jesus, thanks for running the race for me and with me. I'm ready to continue in joy to run the race for you this day. Show me the way. --- Amen

No comments: