Friday, December 24, 2004

December 23-24 Reflections

Thursday 12/23/2004
Luke 1.26-56 - The angel Gabriel came to Mary - told her she was blessed- don’t be afraid - God is with you - you will have a son - his name will be Jesus- he will be the Son of God-he will rule Israel forever and his kingdom will have no end-Mary couldn’t figure out how it would happen since she wasn’t married-- the angel told her the Holy Spirit would come over her and Elizabeth will have a child also- nothing is impossible for God - So Mary runs off to Elizabeth- Elisabeth in a loud voice- she must have been excited-tells Mary that God has blessed her more than any woman and she was happy that the mother of her Lord had come to her- Elizabeth’s baby became happy and moved - shouldn’t I be happy happy happy too and move! - then Mary praises God because he cares for her- has blessed her- shows mercy-feeds the hungry and keeps his promises-so for me Jesus has come also - he is with me I should be happy happy happy and move!- cause Jesus means - the Lord saves

Ezekiel 34 - God likens the leaders of Israel to shepherds that took advantage of their flock and didn’t take care of them- God will punish them- God is the good shepherd - he takes care of the flock - he will let them live- then God addresses the sheep - the strong ones that took advantage of the good food and water and ruined the food and water for the weak one will be separated out - the weak sheep will be rescued- don’t take advantage of the weak! - God will take care of his sheep

Isaiah 58 - Shout the message! - Don’t hold back - don’t think only of yourself- God won’t listen to your prayers when you do this - to really worship God remove the chains of prisoners who are chained unjustly- free the abused- share your food with the hungry- share your home with the homeless- give clothes to those in need- don’t turn away your relatives- then your light will shine- you will be healed- When you bed God for help he will answer - Here I am! - don’t mistreat others or say cruel things- then your light will shine- God will guide you and care for you

Do not be afraid - Beware but be comforted - God is about to turn everything upside down - But- Do not be afraid

Firmly believe that my sin is forgiven before God in heaven

Isaiah 9.2-7 - I walked in darkness- I see a great light! - I will rejoice before God - God takes my troubles away- Jesus has been born in me - Jesus is great and saves me!

Isaiah 11 - Jesus has come- with wisdom-understanding-counsel-might-knowledge-he is delighted in God- Jesus is righteous- Jesus will bring peace - complete peace - I will inquire of Jesus- Jesus will reach out to me-Jesus will make a highway for me to travel back to God and will lead me on that path

Psalm 110.65-72 - Teach me good judgment and knowledge- I will keep your word - It’s is good for me to be humbled

Prayer- Lord - you come to me too - you come to me in so many ways - I can see you - I can feel you - I can feel your presence with all my senses- How happy this makes me - How it makes me want to sing -- now move me this day - move me to be comfort for those in need of comfort - to feed those who are hungry - to clothe those who need clothes- to be merciful on others- to say kind words to others - to love others with that deep deep deep happy happy happy love you have shown to the whole world -- lead me I pray on that path that leads to you -- Thanks be to God! -- Amen

Friday 12/24/2004
Luke 1.57-80 - Elizabeth said, “No!, His name is John.�- Don’t you just love a strong woman! - Well then they make it sound like Zechariah was all spiritual and stuff cause he said his name was John too -- but don’t you really think he thought - man! -- I better not write any other name - cause she’ll kill me!!! -- he couldn’t speak -- but he could still hear after all! -- so I don’t think Zechariah was so “dumb� after all! -- and look at the results - suddenly - just cause he went along with his wife -- God let him speak again -- so I guess the moral of the story is -- listen to your wife and just go along with it --- Yea - I know -- that logic probably isn’t theological to the Bible passage and most husbands wouldn’t agree -- but it’s true to life! -- then Zechariah sings praise to God -- for a savoir and for his son who will be a prophet and go ahead of Jesus - prepare the way - tell people to repent and get ready - and get ready for the light to shine through death and give life.

Ezekiel 35-36 - We have to understand - as nations- that we can’t overtake another nation for our own good -- they all belong to God- nations don’t belong to us - I think of Hitler and others who let their power go to their heads-- God is really the one with the power -- Ahhh! Why do they have to keep bringing up a woman’s period all the time! -- God will save us - rescue us and sprinkle us with clean water - and we will be clean and acceptable to God - he will take away my stubborn heart and give me a new one that desires to be faithful - he will put his Spirit in me - and make me eager to obey him - he will be my God - he will take care of me - I’ll smell my stench and hate it - then he’ll let me act and rebuild - they will say it looks beautiful- and people will know that it is God that rebuilt me - God will answer my prayers and I will know he is God

Isaiah 59 - God can still hear and answer prayers- My sins are the roadblock between me and God - I feel my way along and stumble in the light like it is night- my sin condemns me - but God will rescue me from my sin- God promises to give my his Spirit- I will turn around - cause I see God’s awesome love

Do not be afraid - Beware but be comforted - God is about to turn everything upside down - But- Do not be afraid

I am guilty of sin - Lord forgive me!

Luke 2.1-20 - There wasn’t room so they went to a barn - Jesus was born - laid in a wooden feed box -- oh how that wood will later save us -that wood will become our sign - that wood and those nails and that love of a baby to give us life and love and happiness - that same wood that Jesus will one day as a young man growing up work with in his father’s woodshop -- that wood - those nails -- that wood will be brought to life to give life-- can’t you smell the wood? - can’t you feel the love? -- then God announces the birth to some ol stinky shepherds -- surrounds them with life -- scares the crap out of them - and shows them true praise of God from heaven -- praise God for that wood - praise God for that Baby and the true source of light and life-- then the ol stinky shepherds saw Jesus and were filled with his grace - and couldn’t help but to tell others and praise God for the whole experience -- for all that love they had seen -- I’ll do the same thing!

Psalm 96 - Sing to God a new song! - tell of his salvation from day to day - tremble before God and worshi him with all you got! - God is coming! - God is here!

Prayer - Jesus- you’re here! -- You came with a grand introduction - but you came to me - my sinful self - you forgave me -you saved me -- you came as a child -- just like I’m now your child - you came to me while I was drowsy about to fall asleep - just like you did to those shepherds long ago - you came to me - you are my God - you rebuild me - you take out that rotten heart of mine and give me a new one - a better one - one that reaches out in love to you and all your creation - to all the people you have set in my life - to all the people you have put in my face - you let me love them and care for them and show them your light while it shines through me - you surround me with your light -- just like you did those shepherds way back when -- then you show me how to follow the path that leads to God - you direct my ways and show me yourself and let me run away praising you and telling others all about how you come to me -- you come to me - it’s scary but it’s really nice! -- you come to me and you stay with me -- deep deep deep inside of me -- you are there! -- you are here! -- Thanks be to God! --- Amen

No comments: