Tuesday, December 28, 2004

December 28th Reflections

Tuesday 12/28/2004
Luke 3.21-38 - Jesus is baptized and the Holy Spirit descends on him as a dove -- I think Jesus was baptized for our benefit 0 he is always a good example and shows us what to do-- but did John baptize him? - other Gospels say he did - but here John was just thrown in prison - Here Luke joins baptism and prayer - a nice thought and another good example of what to do -- and the Holy Spirit takes on an earthly form in a dove just as God took on an earthly form in Jesus - it‘s not just thought and feeling - it is real to us - -- then there is his line of relatives back to Adam and God -- can you imagine being able to go back that far today??-- the genealogy is that of Joseph -- I wonder what Mary’s was
Ezekiel 42-43 - The priests had rooms that they were to eat in and to leave their sacred clothes behind and put on regular clothes when they went back into the world - I wonder if we are to wear our regular clothes when we go back to the world - to be in the world - yet our minds and hearts have been changed by the Word of God - in the temple God was as loud as ocean waves and light with the dazzling brightness of his glory - when Ezekiel bowed the light came through the gate and into the temple - and the Spirit lifted Ezekiel - we should bow to God and receive His light - keep the temple of your heart sacred - the altar must be dedicated by offering a sacrifice and scattering blood - reminds me of Jesus as our sacrifice and the meaning Jesus gave to his blood - then the scape goat - offered as a sacrifice for sin for all the people
Isaiah 63 - God is our hero - he can save us - this time God saved the people from other nations without the Israelites going to battle like they did when they went into the Promised Land -- God rescued them and led them back without the Jews having to battle - so this time the Jews wouldn’t feel like they did it - only God saves - we can’t save ourselves - someone is coming stained in blood - is it Jesus in the OT again?- coming to save the Jews from exile?
Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people
Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.
Your sins are forgiven
Matthew 2.13-23 - An angel told them to feel - Herod had all the children tow years old or under killed in an attempt to kill Jesus -- but Joseph and Mary had listened to the angel -- how great are angels sent by God!- when it was safe to return the angel told Joseph
Psalm 10 - God does see trouble and grief - and he will give strength
Prayer - Jesus - your baptism - how nice - how you must have been with many others as they were baptized - how you were with me at my baptism - how the Spirit descended as a dove on you - a bird in flight - then the voice of god rings out telling all who you are and what you will do - all so real - not just feeling and emotion alone - now I know how you are with me - how the Spirit is with me giving me flight - and then that voice - proclaiming your saving grace - use me this day as your voice to proclaim your saving grace to the world - put my ordinary clothes on and go out - but I know that deep within the temple of my heart you are always there with me - even in a world that kills babies - I must be bold enough to go out - send your angels to me to speak wisdom and give me protection - may I listen to their sweet voices and act on what they say- for it is your Word they speak - Jesus - your baptism - how nice. --- Amen

No comments: