Thursday, December 30, 2004

December 30th Reflections

Thursday 12/30/2004
Luke 4.31-44 - Jesus casts out a demon - news of Jesus is spreading more and more - Then he began healing crowds of people - He couldn’t even be alone for the crowds would hunt him down - so Jesus just kept on preaching
Ezekiel 46-47 - Sacrifices and offerings on the Sabbath were special - the east gate of the inner courtyard would be closed for six days each week and only opened on the Sabbath -- when people come in they come in one gate and exit the opposite- detailed rules - morning sacrifices -- but there is always some connection to God -- I think that’s what all the rules are about -- God wants us to be in contact with him all the time and know that it is special and that God is God -- The man took Ezekiel back to the temple and showed him a stream flowing from under the entrance- it ran past the altar and through the courtyard - Ezekiel was told to wade through the stream - it got deeper and deeper until he would need to swim to cross the stream - then they went on the bank and looked at a dozen trees- this water will bring life and fresh water to the Dead Sea - the leaves will never dry out because they will have water that flows from the temple and they will be used for healing people-Hey! -- the Tree Song! -- I love this image of ever-flowing life giving water from the center of God’s temple -- may my heart overflow with this loving water to those who I meet in my world
Isaiah 65 - God is here - ready to be found by those not searching - he says “Here I am!� - God reaches out to the stubborn and sinful people- -- then those who think there something and say “Don’t come near us!! We’re dedicated to God.� -- they are like an irritating smoke all day in the nose of God- God alone is the one to be trusted - God is creating new heavens and a new earth - Celebrate and be glad - “I am creating a Jerusalem, full of happy people.� - no more crying or sorrow
Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people
Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.
Thank God for protection through the night form all danger and harm
Isaiah 25.1-9 - be glad and rejoice in God’s salvation - it’s just what you have been waiting for
Revelation 22.1-5 - Then the angel showed John the river of life- flowing from the throne of God - on the side of the river is the tree of life -- the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations -- The Tree Song again! -- that’s my favorite! - we will see his face- God will be our light
Psalm 46 - God is our strength - don’t fear - there is a river whose streams make glad the city of God - god is in the midst of the city - God is God -- this is the Psalm that inspired “A Mighty Fortress�
Prayer- Lord I want to go to that stream - I want to wade in it - I want to play in it - I want to swim in it - I want to throw rocks in it - I want to catch crawdads in it - I want to build little dams in it - I want to play with you and friends in that stream - I want to feel how refreshing it is when it’s hot outside - I want to feel how cold it can be at times- I want to see it overflow it’s banks and make a mess all around - I want to play in that stream -- then I want to walk along the banks and look at that tree - I want to climb that tree with you - I want to go out on the limb of that tree with you and some friends - I want to cling to that tree- I want to lie under that tree and talk to a friend - I want to sit back against the base of that tree and dream- I want to live in this place where there is no sorrow or grief and we just play all day -- but for now - send me out today to proclaim the hope and love you have prepared for us in this place through the saving grace of your Son -- thanks for playing today! --- Amen

No comments: