Monday, December 27, 2004

December 27th Reflections

Monday 12/27/2004
Luke 3.1-20 - Get the road ready for the Lord! - Make a straight path for him- Smooth out the rough roads - Then everyone will see the saving power of God - Do something to show that you really have given up your sins - God can turn stones into children for Abraham - Any tree that doesn’t produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into a fire - Share your clothes and food with those who need it - Don’t make people pay more than they owe you - Be satisfied with your pay - Jesus gives the Holy Spirit - John was in Herod’s face and told him what he had done wrong - Herod threw John in jail -- Here John is clear - He was living in the desert - God’s chosen people the Israelites were formed in the desert - I think maybe we all are really formed in the desert - in the wilderness- it is here that we see God - that we are humbled and see our need for God’s salvation - it is here that we see we cannot save ourselves - it is here that we find we need the help and salvation of a loving God - it is here that we are baptized - it is here that God meets us and saves us from ourselves -- but our response to this is of great importance - we are to get ready for God in that wilderness - we are to go to work - we are to straighten ourselves out and give God a straight path to us - smooth ourselves out - so that we can see the saving power of God - then we will respond more in our treatment of each other - we will care for each other - love each other and be fair and honest with each other - we will become children of God - God will make us rocks into something and call us and make us his children - but we do have to produce fruit - faith without works is dead - so in response to what we have seen God do for us - in response to his salvation of our lives in the desert or wilderness we will love each other - we must act - we must show God’s love to the world - if we truly believe - what other reaction could we have?- God has saved us from ourselves - so show yur gratefulness and act in love to each other -- but be ready -- when you proclaim the hard message - then “in your face� message of God -- others just might throw you in jail - are you willing to take the chance? - I am!

Ezekiel 40-41 - Ezekiel in a vision sees a man sparkling like polished bronze in Jerusalem with a tape measure and a measuring stick - pay close attention - first the outer wall was measured - then the east gate leading to a long passageway - three guardrooms - and entrance room to the courtyard of the temple- another passageway- two doors of the gate- railing - this sparkling man show Ezekiel the temple in great detail - windows in some rooms - carvings of palm trees - rooms all around the place - the inner courtyard - gates - passageway’s - more rooms - more palm trees - steps that lead up to a gate - eight steps - eight steps here and there leading up - four tables for animals to be sacrificed were killed - a small room outside this inner building to wash the animals to make them right for sacrifice - a total of eight tables - four inside and four outside all for the killing of animals for sacrifice - four stone tables for the killing of the animals - all around this room was a three inch shelf - in the inner courtyard there were two buildings - they wer for the priests - then an altar in from of the temple - steps to the doorway of the temple - the main room of the temple - the far door - which was the main entry to the holy place - then he measure the most holy place - it had thick walls - storage rooms - three levels - steps from the bottom level- to the middle level - to the top level - then another building - it faced the west end of the temple- the inside walls of the temple were paneled with wood - the walls were decorated with carvings of winged creatures and palm trees - in front of the door to the most holy place was a wooden altar - this is a reminder that God is constantly watching over his temple--so here we have a building plan -- needed so that God could return to the city and sacrifices could again resume in Jerusalem after the exile - but it also can be interpreted to be a temple that God will build at the end of time - but then I think of John the Baptist -- his words of preparation - while he was in the desert - in exile of sorts -- prepare a path -- god saves us in our deserts - in our wilderness - we prepare a path -- a temple - just like the temple -- outside to inside -- we get closer and closer to God -- prepare your heart as the temple - believe in Jesus - have faith - he will dwell within you - prepare your heart- the temple- the path to God all your life -- approach the inner most holy place of your heart where Jesus dwells - but wait - the inner curtain has been torn open- God is bursting out from our hearts through the death of Jesus -- so approach that inner temple -- but from Jesus in the center of your heart - your most holy place - leave it all open for others to see Jesus saving grace in you - act - act now! -- the time is now -- but keep on preparing your heart for all the changes and work God has in store for you -- yes - go into that most holy place - prepare the path to that most holy place - deep inside your heart -- but be ready to take what you find back out to the world - hurry up!

Isaiah 62 - You will please God - God will guard you - God will make you strong and famous - Open your gates! - Repair the road to the city - show others the path - God will save you - and you will be called God’s own people - the one he rescued - open your heart - work on your path - repair it and you will be a Child of God

Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people

Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.

Don’t torture yourself with imaginary sins

John 21.20-25 - Testify to Jesus -- remain close to him - you will not die- follow Jesus!

1 John 2.1-6 - Yea I sin - but Jesus forgives my sin - so when I believe - I will strive to give up that sin and walk in the way of Jesus - the battle goes on but the hope and victory has already been won by Jesus

Psalm 89.19-37- God gave me Jesus - way before I even knew about it

Prayer- Lord- I get it - you are with me all the time - especially when it’s rough - you are there and choose me and turn me around - you show me my sin - you then forgive my sin - I believe - as I make that path straight - as I prepare that temple for you to dwell in - allow me to see you - to feel your presence - deep within me - let me look through that torn curtain and see Jesus - let me feel your presence always - let me run out and tell others what you have done for me - let me tell my own unique story of your saving grace for me -- it’s there for all of us - help me build - show me the measurements - show me the rooms I need to make - the woodwork I need and the work I need to do - in my face - make it plain and obvious what you would have me do - may I serve you in this temple you have given to me - as I use the saw - the hammer and all the tools you give me help me to fight my sin and help me when I cut myself- hit my finger with the hammer and fall down - pull me back up to continue the work you have set before me - let me open my temple in the love you have given me to show the world my love and your love and that great place you have prepared for all of us -- as I look deep into this temple - may I stand in awe with friends you have given me to see your glory and praise your name and sing of your love forever. --- Amen

No comments: