Wednesday, December 29, 2004

December 29th Reflections

Wednesday 12/29/2004
Luke 4.1-30 - The Spirit led Jesus into the desert and for 40 days Jesus was tested by the devil - I guess the testing is supposed to be - Jesus fasted during this time - You can’t live only on food - Having power doesn’t do it - Worship only God - Don’t test God - finally the devil gave up for then- notice how Jesus responds with scripture - how important this leads the Word to be - then Jesus returned to Galilee with the power of the Spirit - He has followed the Spirit both times - Then Jesus taught and everyone praised him - Jesus went back to Nazareth - Jesus read that the Spirit had come on him and chosen him to tell the good news and announce freedom to prisoners and heals and that this was the time - a reading from Isaiah-it was traditional to stand to read and sit to comment - I wonder if the sermon should be given sitting down?- well these were hometown people - they knew Jesus and became angry with him and tried to kill him-they became angry because the scripture Jesus commented on were where Elijah and Elisha gook God’s favor to non-Jews and they didn’t like this idea at all- but Jesus slipped away and went to Capernaum and taught - then Jesus met a man with an evil spirit and cast it out of him - these people were amazed and the news spread
Ezekiel 44-45 - The east gate of the temple are closed- God came through this gat eand they are to remain closed- God is here to stay this time- he won’t ever leave us- just like the tree in the garden - there are some things we aren’t to do -- God is God and has privileges - the brightness of God fills the temple - stop your evils ways - then rules for priests serving in the temple are given - then there is a whole bunch of instructions on how to take care of the temple and how to worship - It seems that God loves to be organized- to give instructions in detail on how to do things- it seems he loves this stuff- It makes me wonder about a God so loving that he is willing to spell it all out for us- to make it all so obvious - to show us in every detail how to please him - I want to please and follow God’s instructions-but then God sees how we goof it up- and then God is so loving he sent his Son to set us straight again and take care of our “goofs� -- how loving a God we have!
Isaiah 64 - Come down LORD - Be a spark that starts a fire - you are nearby - only by your help can we be saved
Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people
Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.
Commend your body and soul to God and let his holy angels have charge of you.
Psalm 147.12-20 - Praise God - he takes care of all your needs
1 Chronicles 29.10-28 - God is the source of all good things- praise him and give thanks - we give back to God what was already and still is his - direct your heart towards God - I was created to please God - do things to please God because he is God and I am so grateful to be his
Psalm 110 - Sit a while with God - he is with me- even in the battle
Prayer - Lord - let your Spirit lead and guide me this day - help me to remember your Word throughout the day - the stories the good news you give so that I may not fall down but respond and think about what you tell me - lead me in your spirit and by your spirit on the path this day - for you are with me - let me hear your angel voices and let your angels protect me - for as I sit a while with you this day - I feel and know you are present - as I sit with you and you give me your message may I remember how your message was given at a sitting with Jesus long ago -- but it is also given here and now -- let me hear this message and not grow angry - but see the healing and love you give. --- Amen

No comments: