Saturday, December 25, 2004

December 25th Reflection

Saturday 12/25/2004
Luke 2.1-20 - Oh yea - they were all still in the world - all of them - going to do something demanded by the government - working in fields at night -- just plain people - doing what they had to do - living their lives - but this was different - way different - God was there - right amongst them - some had a clue - others didn’t- but this was a different night - a way different night- then God sent angels to the shepherds- angels - the messengers and servants of God - made it obvious - sent Light into their dull worlds - sent Light into their dull lives - and that Light changed everything- this was a different night - a way different night - God has come to us - God is with us - through our own dull dark world - God bursts into it with a great Light and angels- wake up - rise from the dead - Jesus that great Light is here now -- here to save-this was a different night - a way different night - go tell - realize the Light’s presence and live!- this was a different night - a way different night- They wrapped Jesus in strips of cloth -- used in that day to keep the baby straight and promote growth -- and what growth God has intended for this child -- for those who place their faith in this child - for the world - growth beyond measure - growth in faith - growth in love- growth in compassion - growth for the lowly of this earth - growth to be a King - growth for those who place their faith from death to life-- this was a different night - a way different night- and the glory of God flooded the place -- the opposite of a destructive flood centuries before that was sent due to our sin -- now a flood of Glory sent because of our sin and to save us from our sin - a flood of Glory sent in my baptism with life giving Water now - a flood of Glory to save me - to turn me around and to send me out as a messenger -- as a servant -- as a reflection of that Light that is now within me - with me - to light up the world- this was a different night - a way different night
Ezekiel 37 - Some time later, I felt the LORD’s power take control of me - the Spirit carry me -- to death - to a valley full of bones - God shows me that death can turn into life - God has this power - God can put his breath - his Spirit into even dry bones - he can wrap them with a body and bring them to life - so when I feel dried up - dead -- no life- I now know that God will change me - change me from death to life- his Spirit will give me breath and life again and God will bring me home - God can do anything - like the two sticks that represent Israel and Judah - God can join those sticks together and make them as one - I need to let God join me together - to make me whole- he gives all the hope I need- God will restore
Isaiah 60 - Stand up! - Shine! - Your new day is dawning - The glory of the LORD shines brightly in you- the glory of the LORD is shining upon you - Open your eyes! - Look around! - Crowds are coming -- sounds like that approach to the cross to me - when you see this, your faces will glow- your hearts will pound and swell - like when the candles all lit the faces of the people in the congregation of Christmas Eve -- did they feel it? - did they see it in others?- did they see God’s presence in each other? - or was it just a nice little song and a pretty sight?- did a few just shut up and look around? --did other feel the power of the Light and sing loud and proud?-- did those few act like the shepherds - dumbfounded by the awesome power of God spread out in those lit faces as far as could be seen?- God - through this Light - this Jesus - will rebuild all those lit faces - rebuild their lives - he will make them beautiful and rest his feet in his new temples -- those feet that will take action - those feet that will run to tell the world about this Light - We were once hated and deserted and rejected -- but now God will make us beautiful - he will be proud of us for all time - and not because of what we did -- but because of what God has done for us -- God gives Light and Life through Jesus - and puts Jesus right within us -- the gift beyond imagination - we will know that it was God who saved us - God made us very important - God made us his children - God gave us life and love and joy and peace - God will be our eternal light - won’t need the sun and the moon - only the Son -- the Son catcher - we all will be -- to spread the Light of that Son into the dark lives of others - so that Light can be present with them also - and God’s going to do this -- just let it happen -- be the resting place of the feet of God let that flood of God’s glory - that flood of good news cause my heart to thrill and rejoice
Do not be afraid - Beware but be comforted - God is about to turn everything upside down - But- Do not be afraid
I ask myself - have I hurt anyone by word or deed? -- Forgive me!
Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people
John 1.1-14 - In the beginning was the Word - Jesus- without Jesus nothing comes into being- Nothing comes to life- the life that brings light -- the light that shines in the darkness- there was a witness -- it says John- but maybe it should say Billy - he came to testify to the Light- so that others could believe- he wasn’t the Light - just one testifying to the Light - to those who accept Jesus -this Light -and believe in him- Jesus will make children of God-- and the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen this glory - full of grace and truth
Matthew 1.18-23 - an angel appeared to Joseph and told a secret - Mary will have a child and that baby will save people from their sins - by the way -- name the baby Emmanuel-Jesus -- God is with us- hey the secrets out - but the secret is in me - tell the secret to all
Psalm 2 - Happy are all who take refuge in God
Prayer - Lord - I hear you -I’m your child now - wrap me in those strips of cloth that you have laying in your dresser drawer - let them straighten me up - let them cause me to grow - let me smell your scent on those strips of cloth - let me feel your warmth from those strips of cloth - let those strips of cloth give me life in you - let me feel the great protection you give in those strips of cloth - and hope in you- for you have been sent into this world and into my life and into me with a great Light - with life - with a flood of glory that overcomes all my sin - that brings me from the death of my sin to life in you- you did it - you became flesh - you are the Word - you are the Light -- and then you were pleased enough to place your feet in the temple of my heart - may I be the action and the movement of your feet in my life today and tomorrow and forever- may I see the beauty of your feet in my temple - and send me out as that messenger - that angel - that reflective light to shine it all over everyone this day. Let your light glow in my face and may you hear the praise and honor and glory that is yours and yours alone -- You are God! -- and your love is great! --- Amen

No comments: