Friday, December 31, 2004

December 31st Reflection

Friday 12/31/2004
Luke 5.1-26 - So Jesus takes Peter’s boat -- has him row it out - teaches the crowd from the boat - then has Peter row out into the deep water and let his nets down to catch some fish - Peter wasn’t catching fish up to that point -- but this time he did - like a bunch of fish -- sink the boat bunch of fish! - then Jesus told them that from now on they will bring in people instead of fish -- it’s interesting that only when Peter completely trusted Jesus - was willing to go deep with him - only then will we be able to bring in people -- only with Jesus -- and going deep with him -- hmmm! -- we need to go deep with each other - go deep with the love of Christ and cast out our nets to the world -- out in the deep water -- not in the shallow water-- Jesus healed a man with leprosy -- the man knew that Jesus could heal him - I know Jesus can heal me too -- Jesus would often go to some place where he could be alone and pray -- we all need to do that - every day! - Jesus forgave a man’s sins -- the Pharisees got all excited about that -- Jesus must think he is God -- only God can forgive sins -- what a bunch of pompous crap - those Pharisees think way too much of themselves! -- So Jesus told the crippled man that his sins were forgiven - get up and walk on home - an the guy did -- so there Pharisees!
Ezekiel 48 - what an exciting ending! -- yea right! -- a bunch of measurements on the land - who gets what and where -- but the new name of the city is “The-LORD-Is-Here!� -- Yahweh-Shammah-- I like that -- he is here too!
Isaiah 66 - The people God treasures most are the humble -- man is he making me humble!! - they depend only on me and tremble when I speak - but in the end - God rescues his people and gives them hope and salvation
Through the “in’s and out’s� of gift shopping this season- awaken me to the gift of God to me in Jesus- in me- that I may run out and share the joy of this gift which is for all people
Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.
Fear-Love and Trust God above everything!
Ecclesiastes 3.1-13 - Makes me want to sing the song! - it is God’s gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil- I don’t think this means we’re all supposed to go out and get crazy -- but that everything is a gift from God.
Philippians 2.1-11 - regard others as better than yourself - look to their interests - empty yourself for them - be their slave - God will exalt you -- follow the example Jesus set and you will be awe struck by what Jesus has done for you- you will confess that Jesus is Lord cause you just can’t help yourself
Psalm 112 - Happy are those who fear the LORD
Prayer - Lord -- Happy New Year -- of course - I guess that doesn’t mean much to you - but lately I’ve heard your message of Happy-Happy-Happy come through several times - all I have is a gift from you - and how else can I react but to be happy-happy-happy - this year - take me deep - take me deep into you - let me go deep with you where you would have me go - take me deep in your love and let it overflow into the world you send me - I want to be your disciple -- I want to fish - I want to tell others how you save-love-heal-forgive and change -- you are God - and this is your world and place to be - here and now and all next year and after- Happy New year! -- Happy! - Happy! - Happy! --- Amen

No comments: