Sunday, February 11, 2007

February 11th Daily Word and Visions from God

Hebrews 8-But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
Exodus 5.1-6.27-Let My people go that they may celebrate a feast to Me in the wilderness.
Proverbs 1-Turn to my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.
Luke 6.17-26-And all the people were trying to touch Him, for power was coming from Him and healing them all.
---
I went to YouthFest 2007 yesterday. Young people from area churches gather from various denominations for singing, fellowship, devotion and to deliver a message. This is the steeple of the Presbyterian Church in town that the YouthFest was held at this year. It struck me how the cross set against the clear blue, and very cold sky, seemed so far away. But I could see it this time through the empty branches of a tree. A tree made of wood reminded me of the wood of the cross. But I wouldn't have been able to see this cross from this spot had the leaves been on the tree. The tree was bare just as the cross I could now see was bare. Jesus is no longer hanging from the cross. He has risen and reigns forever in Life. He reigns forever in Love. Jesus reigns forever and will come again. Jesus has brought a better covenant. He fulfilled the covenant of sacrifice with his own Life. No longer do I need to sacrifice animals on an altar to atone for my sins. Jesus is my sacrifice once and for all. My sin had been defeated and now I turn my life to Him and live differently. Life in Jesus is not a life of sacrifice. Life in Jesus is a Life of Love and service and joy. No, not a life of leisure. Not necessarily a life of ease. But a Life in Jesus with the knowledge that there is something beyond. The end of my life on earth is not the end of Life in Jesus. I may walk through the wilderness and worship Jesus here, but I also see the empty cross through the bare tree and remember the Hope of a Life in Jesus that goes on now and forever. I am living that eternal Life now because of that empty cross and this lifeless tree. But knowing that through this empty tree and cross I have been graciously given New Life. New Life where God's Spirit is poured out and into me and His Word is made known to me. Made known to me to do as a proverb asks you to do. A proverb is wisdom in action. Wisdom applied to Life. It's no wonder that at this moment, I want to reach out and touch Jesus to feel His power. But it will always amaze me how Jesus reaches out and touches me instead. Fills me with gifts and sends me out full of His proverbs to apply Wisdom to the world I live in. It may seem like an empty tree and a cross to some against a cold sky. But this day it is a Life lived in Jesus to me. Thanks be to God!
---
Lord, give me Life in Jesus and send me to do Your will. ---Amen

No comments: